Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve spy technology

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
there are already 2 means of tracking drivers:
1. the airbag module logs key parameters on a rolling cycle over a few seconds. if you crash and the bag fires, it stores the last x seconds which the police can access and if you said you were doing 80 km/h when in fact you'd just braked from 160, you will be busted.
2. they can track your movements off your mobile phone log anyway.

both of those means are only available to the cops tho.

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Bring it on!!

This is just the beginning as far as I am concerned. It won't be too long before data recorders are legislated for every new car. For those that say it is an invasion of privacy - they can take public transport. Just like speed cameras, it only affects those doing the wrong thing. How else is insurance going to remain affordable?

Two advantages come to mind immediately:
Hopefully private owners will have access to the technology, for when my kids want to borrow the car.
It will boost the resale value of the cars with a clean record (fuel economy, max revs, top speed average trip distance etc).

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
Emergency Services have been using them in the Sates for years to slow down morons and help with crash protection. Enough U.S. GM's ahve simlair simple black box technology that will assist.

Where it might be useful is that one time you said that prang was the other drivers fault.

Interesting to see how the data works in a court.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
EVMAN said "I think it's a good idea. If I leant my car to other people I'd want to know if they'd been thrashing it or not."
Does anyone else remember hearing how back in the late eighties when Corvette had the up-spec LS1 fitted with a "Valet Key"? It was a keyhole under a cover in the center console, and used a seperate key to the ignition key. It did something to the fuel injection computer and cut the power output by half (I think from something like 250kw down to just over 100kw) and also activated a speed limiter, so, presumably, when you hand it over to some spotty 17 year old parking attendant, you can activate it and he can't go and rip **** out of your pride and joy...of course, it would work equally well with your own kids..."Hey Dad, can I borrow the Corvette?" "Sure son, here's the keys...snigger...":yeah:

But yes, nowadays it's scary at how simple it would be to fit a cheap data logger into any car with a computer in it...I imagine a cheap piggy back wired-in memory chip of a few hundred kilobytes would be sufficient, and probably cost as much, mass produced, as a simple memory stick does now...and don't think some pricks wouldn't be constantly thinking of a way to do it and pass it into legislation for our "own good", and it'd be a part of the random roadside breath-test/licence check system. "Have you been drinking tonight Sir? No, can I please check your licence? Thank you. Now would you mind popping the bonnet so I can quickly download your data logger details for the last month. Thanks..." The program in it wouldn't have to even be that complicated. the main part would probably be determining where you were when you were doing a certain speed...but then again, subsidised production of GPS chips would be easy too...a simple locator chip could be wired in, and then it's a matter of logging where you were, as is already done with a lot of anti-theft devices...I'd better shut up before I give them ideas...:ranting: