Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ss 6.0 afm

Gonpro5

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss 6.0
Have replace original exhaust with sport exhaust from cats back. Car doesn't run well now and has a drone noise around 3rd gear, how do I switch off AFM or is there something else I can do. Cheers

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
Have replace original exhaust with sport exhaust from cats back. Car doesn't run well now and has a drone noise around 3rd gear, how do I switch off AFM or is there something else I can do. Cheers

You'll need to get it tuned to turn it off, that's around $900 to get done.

If you plan on doing more mods later you'd need to get the DOD hardware removed which is a fair bit of cash I've heard.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Put the AFM mufflers back on is easiest and cheapest. I have a set of modified headers and cats and mufflers to suit, reduce drone at 1800 rpm and overall good with AFM.

I have specific AFM sound videos available too.

Last edited:

WAGONBEAST57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon V8 A4
$900 would be the price for a full tune, any tuner should be able to disable AFM for less than that, for some reason $220 sounds like a familiar figure but don't quote me on that.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Im going to get mine disabled when i get it tuned as the slight vibration in AFM mode on smooth roads is bloody annoying. Most people get better fuel economy with a decent tune with it disabled anyway.

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
Im going to get mine disabled when i get it tuned as the slight vibration in AFM mode on smooth roads is bloody annoying. Most people get better fuel economy with a decent tune with it disabled anyway.

I'm not a fan of autos and I hate AFM but I know that AFM is amazing on fuel and I'd like to see someone have a tune to turn off afm and get better fuel economy.

Seriously, look at a few of the posts made by PIR4TE...

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
It wouldnt be to much more than with AFM. 6th gear on the Freeway youd probably still hit 8/9L/100km easily. I hit about 6 with it. Its largely useless in traffic as you breath on the throttle and AFM turns off.

AFM does have a weird sound. Almost sounds like a weird hum. But havent noticed a virbration.

I dunno, ive always been of the theory that if you wanted to save fuel dont buy a 6L V8 out of gas guzzling Detroit.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Sounds like your new exhaust is not meant for an automatic VE SS at all - I guess most of the special devices to stop vibration and noise in 4 cylinder mode have been totally removed plus the whole thing has been second guessed to sorta fit the bill as a dual exhaust for a Holden V8 but nobody took the time to factor weight and balance to sit quietly on the mounts like it should (or bugger all else apart from how it looks on the brochure).

I'd make sure there is at least the mandatory flex joints front and rear. Bottom line is the aftermarket system is likely way too short to muffle the primary harmonic, which at 50hz on an otherwise stock GenIV 6.0 occurs 1.5m beyond the length of your car. Your options are to fit HSV bi-modal system for $450 and no more problem, run 1.5m capped pipes to cancel that frequency for about $450 but that's quite a bit if plumbing each side underneath, or replace the tune with custom OS from eBay for about the same and probably end up with a tune that puts a smile on your dial (YMMV).

About V8s and fuel, if you are just putting around the burbs hardly drive 20,000k a year then I agree, no point whinging about fuel use or price, you will spend more on tyres and servicing. However it you really drive your car like it's made to, once your annual fuel bill gets well into five digits you'd need to be a mug not to get the most efficient use from the car, your money and the fossils you burn.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not a fan of autos and I hate AFM but I know that AFM is amazing on fuel and I'd like to see someone have a tune to turn off afm and get better fuel economy.

Seriously, look at a few of the posts made by PIR4TE...

Yeah ive read Pir4tes stance on AFM but its not the noise thats bothering me, Its the very slight vibration that bothers me. Afaik the only way to get rid of that is to disable the AFM? I have the factory exhaust btw.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
It wouldnt be to much more than with AFM. 6th gear on the Freeway youd probably still hit 8/9L/100km easily. I hit about 6 with it.

You hit 6L/100km with AFM?, i can only achieve that going down a hill!! On a flat piece of motorway at 100kph mine sits around 9L/100 with AFM active. If i chuck it into manual shift mode which disables AFM mine sits in the high 9's so its about 1L/100 difference.