Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] VE SS 6.0 Litre heads to VX SS 5.7 LS1

VX SS 340 HP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS LS1
Just a quick question dose any one know weather 6.0 litre heads will fit a 5.7 just wondering as a set of 6 litre heads have been ofered to my at a very reasonble price....

BradSV8

Nitrous Junkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Nope they wont fit. The 6L heads need a 4" bore while and the LS1 has a 3.9" bore and also the shape of the inlet ports will be different depending on what model 6L it is.

macca33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Senator 300
LS2 heads WILL fit the LS1. It is the L98 / LS3 heads that will not.

cheers

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
the ls2 (vz 6ltr) has a 3.9 bore and the L98 (ve 6ltr) has a 4in bore... so if theyre off a VE they wont fit but if theyre off a VZ 6ltr they will... its a common misconception that VE owners think they have an LS2 in their car

BradSV8

Nitrous Junkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
All LS series 6L engines have a 4" bore that's how they get the extra cubes over a 5.7. FYI holden offered 2 6L in the vz which were the L76 and LS2 for the HSV's. And yes Macca I was wrong the Ls2 heads will bolt up to an Ls1 it is the later model L98/LS3 heads which will not.

VX SS 340 HP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS LS1
So if i got a set of LS2 heads and left them stock i proberbly wouldnt see any power gains then...

BradSV8

Nitrous Junkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
You probably would see a gain, but I wouldn't bother unless you get them real cheap, I would be looking at other options first ie cam,clutch/stall converter, and diff gears.

VYBR8R

VYBR8NV8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute 5.7/A4
the LS2 has the 3.9" bore and a bigger stroke. thats why a VE SS with the L98 would woop a VE HSV LS2's butt. hence why hsv did i mid series facelift with the introduction LS3 because it was embarassing. The LS2 uses the same head design as the LS1, casting number 241 for ls1 and 243 for the ls2. the LS2 had some minor changes porting etc to increase flow, but was not enough to match the flow figures of the L98 superior heads.

Walesy- how many times in the last few weeks since i brought this to your attention have heaps of "experts" been wrong.

The LS2 heads will offer small power gains but nothing compared to a CNC ported polished set of aftermarket heads. if you can get them for under $500 it would be a worthwhile upgrade, get the faces machined 30thou, usually costs about $120 from most machinest. the slightly increased flow and raised compression will waken up a mild cam.

SirNemesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
WHII Statesman
the LS2 has the 3.9" bore and a bigger stroke. thats why a VE SS with the L98 would woop a VE HSV LS2's butt. hence why hsv did i mid series facelift with the introduction LS3 because it was embarassing. The LS2 uses the same head design as the LS1, casting number 241 for ls1 and 243 for the ls2. the LS2 had some minor changes porting etc to increase flow, but was not enough to match the flow figures of the L98 superior heads.

Walesy- how many times in the last few weeks since i brought this to your attention have heaps of "experts" been wrong.

The LS2 has a 4.0" bore, just like the L76 and L98. They are the same block, with the top oil stands drilled for AFM use. LS1, LS2, LS3, L76, L98, LQ4 and LQ9 all use the same crank.

Last edited: