Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE ss 6 speed manual - gearbox noise

timmo666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V, V8, 6 Speed Manual
hey guys,

just starting to notice what i believe to be some gearbox chatter upon acceleration in my VE SS.
6 speed manual - when i change say from 2nd - 3rd when i engage 3rd and then hit the go pedal, there's a bit of a clunk sound then it continues on revving through the gear as normal. its just after engaging a gear then the first initial acceleration.
is this common with the VE's? ive done a search about it and found some info on clunky clutches but this is only when i accelerate.
just wondering if this is normal or if it sounds like something major on its way out? :hmmm:

feedback is appreciated.

cheers :beer chug:
Timmo

timmo666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V, V8, 6 Speed Manual
it doesnt sound like its from the rear. it sounds like its towards the front if that makes any difference?

191kieran191

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 Thunder Ute
my Sv6 gearbox makes a clunk sometimes from 2nd to 3rd

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Hi timmo666,
welcome to the dreaded T56 drive line clunk!!!

For what its worth mate,my VZ Thunder is running the 6.0l and Tremec T56,the cars only got 50,000km on it.
I couldnt be happier with the shift quality,even when cold there would be no hesitation and pulling up at intersections it would slide straight back into 1st while slowing down to stop (approx 10-15kmph).This is with the original fluid in it from Holden (Dex111-ATF) But I noticed as the box got up to operating temp it would give symptoms the same as you are experiencing,not so much when upshifting but when slowing down,I know it sounds bloody terrible.I spoke to the guys at service dept and they told me both the Box & Diff fluid are a non serviceable item and are a sealed for life item.????
Any way after reading about how some of the fellow forum members were having success with Penrite Gear Oils I emailed the Tech People at Penrite and they replied that the Penrite MGO 70 was specially developed for gearboxes such as the Tremec T56 which used ATF as its choice of fluid,and they guaranteed me that it wont hurt the Syncro Rings /Blockers,
as the additives in normal gear oil WILL,
One thing I noticed when the new oil was in was that it was alot quieter and shift changes are still smooth although when cold, it now is a little bit baulky when going from 1st -2nd,but its only on the initial change first thing in the morning,but ive overcome that problem by short shifting 1st-2nd.
Mate honestly I reccomend it,I paid $140 for 2x2.5lt mgo70 & 1x2.5lt syngear80 for the diff.
Below is the reply from Penrite for your reading ,
Cheers buddy, Conrod
Please keep us informed when you sort it out mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Penrites reply
We certainly recommend the products you refer to for your vehicle. Please note that NO additives should be put on top of SIN Gear 80 as the formulation is complete and extra Sturaco additive could compromise the seals.
With regard to the gearbox, the original requirement was for a gearbox oil that is so light it's almost as light as an automatic fluid. The manufacturers took the easy path and opted just to put ATF in the box. This works fairly well, but at Penrite we don't think that "fairly well" is what the serious motoring enthusiast is seeking. We developed an oil for a manual gearbox that is very light, fully synthetic and purpose-made. (It is unsuitable for an automatic transmission).

There are a lot of Holdens (and Fords) out there using our MGO 70 in their gearboxes and, as you've seen/heard they're running beautifully. Rest assured, we back our recommendations -including use in vehicles under warranty.

Enjoy.
Regards,

Penrite Oil Company

Last edited:

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Yes mate thats correct,
even though I and many others have made the change to Penrite MGO 70 as the chosen oil for their T56,I strongly believe it is up to the individual to make up their own mind as to what oil they use,do your back ground checks,ask alot of questions,ask what are the long term benefits,is it detrimental to the internals,carbon fibre syncro,s etc,etc.

There are Threads on JC already on the subject of oil requirements,with alot of do,s & dont,s worth reading.

phatz

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 ve ss ute
Hey guys ive got a 2008 ve ss and I have a noise at idle coming from the m10 gearbox but as soon as I put the clucth in the clunky noise stops release clucth and its back it doesnt sound the greatest. Would it be the thrust bearing or something worse? Any help much appreciated

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
sounds that way, progear from penrite I the box and their diff oil as well money well spent