Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ss 6ltr L76 high idle after throttle body clean.

Armandovzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss 5.7
We have done a throttle body clean with throttle body cleaner and a rag as the butterflies were full of gunk now after the Clean the idle won't drop it's sits at 1500 to 2000 rpm in park and 1000 to 1100 In drive. Been to about 6 mechanics with all different scan tools and a hp tuner and they are showing nothing is wrong?? any o e else had this problem and how to solve it ? Throttle body was left on the car at the time of the Clean and butterfly was manuly opened by hand and tps was still plugged In.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
It's happened to me once before, though I don't think the revs went quite as high as yours are venturing. I stressed for about 24 hours before it returned to normal. I'd take it for some WOT action then let it sit overnight with battery disconnected.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
just have to do a throttle body relearn for quicker fix or drive around till it fixes itself as the gunk cleaned out was blocking some airflow so it has opened over time to account for it and now its removed it has to relearn the idle airflow

Armandovzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss 5.7
It's happened to me once before, though I don't think the revs went quite as high as yours are venturing. I stressed for about 24 hours before it returned to normal. I'd take it for some WOT action then let it sit overnight with battery disconnected.

It's been 4 days since it's happen and trying everything to fix it nothing seems to be helping

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
I had the same issue, I replaced the throttle body and it was still doing it, drove me insane for about a month, then one day I replaced the MAP sensor and presto issue was fixed. So give that a try and see if it helps

Armandovzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss 5.7
I had the same issue, I replaced the throttle body and it was still doing it, drove me insane for about a month, then one day I replaced the MAP sensor and presto issue was fixed. So give that a try and see if it helps

Yep done that aswell same thing

InnovativeTech

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac S1/Torana Hatch
It's not advised to clean these throttle bodies on the car, by physically moving/forcing the butterfly you can damage the internals of the sensor, these ECUs will relearn the throttle position but it requires being driven, if your idle does not improve after 100kms the throttle body will need to replaced.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
High idle on EFI cars is almost always a sensor issue. People recommend 'cleaning' the throttle body but it's not to remove gunk (even know cleaning gunk isn't a bad idea) it's usually to try and clean a dirty sensor... whether that's good for the sensor or not, I dunno. I'd be checking/replacing sensors and doing a relearn as others have mentioned.

Armandovzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss 5.7
High idle on EFI cars is almost always a sensor issue. People recommend 'cleaning' the throttle body but it's not to remove gunk (even know cleaning gunk isn't a bad idea) it's usually to try and clean a dirty sensor... whether that's good for the sensor or not, I dunno. I'd be checking/replacing sensors and doing a relearn as others have mentioned.

Tried all new sensors been driving the car for 4 days now still nothing