Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve ss after market exhaust issue

-vkhg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
hey guys,

looking for advice on what's causing this tinny rattle coming from my newly installed catback exhaust.

the system is a 2.5" catback system (i'm not going to disclose the manufacturer or specifics of the system at this point). the car is completely stock apart from the exhaust. there were no issues before installing this system. i have checked that everything is tight and that nothing is touching the exhaust (ie heatshield etc). IF anyone has experienced this noise from an exhaust before your help would be greatly appreciated!

see video clip below

[video=youtube_share;ZuZtRxhEww8]http://youtu.be/ZuZtRxhEww8[/video]

vince.

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Do you have a ripshift? I had a similar noise when I put the KPM system on, ended up been the ripshift skimming a heat deflector. Long shot but could also be your problem (heat shield) fouling exhaust.

-vkhg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
hi brasher,

nah no ripshift. ive checked out all the heat shields and they dont seem to be the problem. any other ideas? could it be something rattling inside the exhaust? does it sound like the stock cats have **** the tin?

vince.

huthy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
I had a rattle with mine when I first got my cat back. Turned out to be where the two exhaust pipes come close together. Fix was they welded them together and noise stopped.

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
To me, that sounds like your cat is stuffed... Mate had a Tiburon which made a very similar sound after a day at the track & it turned out the cat got blown out.

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
To me, that sounds like your cat is stuffed... Mate had a Tiburon which made a very similar sound after a day at the track & it turned out the cat got blown out.

I was thinking similar. Possibly cat or something inside the muffler is loose or faulty.

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
also check the plate under your car roughly in the middle it goes over the top of the exhaust it happened to my mates VE when he got a new exhaust just put some washers inbetween the plate to move away from the exhaust

-vkhg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
cheers fellas, im thinking i might change the cats to another set of stock cats and see how i go..!

-vkhg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
so heres an update on my exhaust issue.. ive had the car to numerous different exhaust shops, all of which told me there was a problem with the hot dogs. so i contacted the manufacturer who sent me a new mid section. after swapping out the mid section, the same noise is still occuring. i went back to the manufacturer who told me it was the cats. i recently took the car to holden for a service and asked the service manager to specifically check out the noise. he also pointed it out to be the hotdogs and said theres no way its the cats (i had replacement cats there to be swapped out during service). check out this video i took underneath the car and tell me your thoughts. the manufacturer is trying to get me to replace the cats and 'see if that works' however im not keen on spending the money to do that when numerous individuals have given me their opinions being that the hot dogs are ####ed.

[video=youtube_share;bVQ7iSNq7L0]http://youtu.be/bVQ7iSNq7L0[/video]

any help appreciated! this exhaust has been a ####in nightmare.