Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ss auto cabin boom

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi, just looking for some advice. Now before I say this I'll get the flame suit on. I recently purchased a stainless 2.5" xforce system brand new for 800 from a mate in the industry (has own business) so for that price can't complain. I can't afford to pay thousands on a catback as My family and house comes first. So anyway the fitment is good, the welds are good all that is good even when causing on highway it's good! No drone or barely any. But when cruising around town with partial throttle around the 1800 rpm mark it gets a shocking booming drone sound in the cabin but if you give it some more throttle it's fine. So my questions are:

1) is this just a fact of life with an auto ssv?

2) will the headers and high flow cats and tune make a difference?

3) the flanges were different coming off the factory cats to the xforce flanges but it still seemed to bolt up ok is that right? Or did those lip things need to be cut off the factory cats?

And finally I had a 3' xforce on my old manual ss sedan and it was fine no issues whatsoever so I tend to believe it's just a bitch having an auto with that partial load always being on the engine. The sound is awesome too! And also I don't want people saying get rid of the xforce problem solved and in the next breath promote your own product that you make a profit off. I want unbiased opinions please. And again I know xforce isn't the best but we aren't all made of money and I just think that it's just the fact that it's auto that's doing it. And it's NOT AFM by the way. Sorry to be so sinacle but I just need some info is possible.

Cheers!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Oh also is it possible that it isn't sealing properly and that's causing it as I didn't use gasket goo or anything. Just gaskets

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
unfortunately with the auto they tend to drone a bit in top gear, no need to cut off anything, just gaskets and bolts, usually you remove the tapered gasket on the factory I think and then use what is supplied. horses for courses, many people have the x-force and are happy (is yours mild or stainless) but as you said on a budget, if you are happy that's what matters

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
My 2.5" Exforce mild steel is OK. Maybe the stainless making the difference. And, yes, on a budget, its a good system IMHO.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
What type of spare tyre do you have? Full size or space saver? I seem to remember reading something about the spare wheel well acting as a sound chamber for the noise and amplifying it into the cabin.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
autos will always be prone to drone and as I'm sure you are aware, the x-force is the cheap **** side of exhausts which is why you are getting drone. Headers won't make a difference as it is the design and choice of mufflers in the system that are causing your pain.

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I have a full size 20" spare. The reason I'm sceptical is for a few reasons. The 3" on the manual was fine no issues at all so I thought surely the 2.5` on the auto would be ok. The other reason is the stock system even droned a little in that rev range. Obviously not as bad but it did drone. Where as the stock system on my manual made no such noise. So what I'm saying is even if I got another system I'd be worried it will do the same thing. And will be a waste of money. Highway cruising is fine It's just that light throttle 1600-2000 rpm around town sort of driving.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Manuals and autos are totally different beasts when it comes to exhausts and drone.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I have had drone completely eliminated by fitting extractors and cats. But that is not with an X Force exhaust.

I haven't had anyone complain about the Manta systems droning. There is an option of muffler/hotdogs in the front section of the Manta system that doesn't drone at all. The downside is that it is quieter than not having the muffler. It does have a nice growl to it when you get up it, but it's pretty quiet everywhere else.

The other option is to drop down a gear in town when it drones.