Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve SS charging issue

Nickve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0 l
Hi i have a ve ssv for some reason when the fans kick in the voltage drops arround 2 volts and then keeps on dropping, i replaced the alternator but issue is still there so i also replaced the fans but still no good can someone shed some light is there a charging module i need to look at thanks

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hi i have a ve ssv for some reason when the fans kick in the voltage drops arround 2 volts and then keeps on dropping, i replaced the alternator but issue is still there so i also replaced the fans but still no good can someone shed some light is there a charging module i need to look at thanks

In the VE, charging and voltage regulation is controlled by the BCM.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
In the VE, charging and voltage regulation is controlled by the BCM.
Not sure how it all works within VE but it sounds like a complex system if it's anything like the one in the VF's.

Within VF's, there is a Battery Current Sensor that is used by the BMC to determine net amp hours of usage (state of charge and battery health), both when teh car is in running state and off state. The battery current sensor is a three wire device and considered a servicable component which is connected to the negative terminal at the battery itself.

The VF charging system has lots of smarts build in to the BCS,BCM/Alternator, etc whereas previously in dumber cars it used to be done cheaply and easily with a couple of wires going from the battery to the alternator and its inbuilt regulator. Times change.

If the car was a VF, and since one has already verified the fans and alternator are OK, it could be a either a BMC fault or it could be a Battery Current Sensor fault or a wiring issue between the two components. And as the charging system has lots of smarts based on predefined calculations for a given battery type and size, it could also be a wrong battery is installed (throwing out the predefined calculations used to determine battery status).

So, assuming teh VE is the same as teh VF, the OP could possibly check the correct battery is actually installed and check whether the VE actually has a battery current sensor fault which should reflect as a fault code (?DTC B1516 errors in VF?).

Basically when working on modern cars, service manuals are an absolute necessity, not a luxury.

Nickve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0 l
Not sure how it all works within VE but it sounds like a complex system if it's anything like the one in the VF's.

Within VF's, there is a Battery Current Sensor that is used by the BMC to determine net amp hours of usage (state of charge and battery health), both when teh car is in running state and off state. The battery current sensor is a three wire device and considered a servicable component which is connected to the negative terminal at the battery itself.

The VF charging system has lots of smarts build in to the BCS,BCM/Alternator, etc whereas previously in dumber cars it used to be done cheaply and easily with a couple of wires going from the battery to the alternator and its inbuilt regulator. Times change.

If the car was a VF, and since one has already verified the fans and alternator are OK, it could be a either a BMC fault or it could be a Battery Current Sensor fault or a wiring issue between the two components. And as the charging system has lots of smarts based on predefined calculations for a given battery type and size, it could also be a wrong battery is installed (throwing out the predefined calculations used to determine battery status).

So, assuming teh VE is the same as teh VF, the OP could possibly check the correct battery is actually installed and check whether the VE actually has a battery current sensor fault which should reflect as a fault code (?DTC B1516 errors in VF?).

Basically when working on modern cars, service manuals are an absolute necessity, not a luxury.
thanks mate i also replace that part on the negative side of the battery its like a ring with 3 wires still no good .

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Any fault codes?
Correct battery installed?