Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Coolant leak - Need advice...

beans90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hey guys,

So my VE SS seems to be leaking coolant now I know its not from a cracked radiator as ive had it pressure tested and none of the fittings are leaking, what is happening is that when the coolant heats up and goes into the overflow it isnt returning back into the radiator, and just continues to fill the overflow.. Ive had my waterpump replaced, the radiator cap replaced and ive flushed the whole system... I am about to drive back home from melbourne in a few weeks and I need to sort this out asap...

Any help is much appreciated!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Had a similar problem on a VN many years ago...........

Pressure check didn't reveal any leaks, changed the cap and some of the older hoses, and still used coolant.......

Mate suggested doing the pressure test when the engine was cold.

Found I had leaks from most of the hose connections.......

Tightened them up, and all was good.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
The coolant requires a vacuum to siphon it through the overflow tube back into the radiator. If there is an air leak in the system, such a leak will prevent the vacuum occurring and the coolant will only flow one way - out of the radiator into the overflow tank.

If the radiator is not faulty , air leaks can be the result of....

1. Faulty radiator cap which is not sealing properly and thus allowing some air to enter.

2. Tinyl cracks in the overflow hose (linking the radiator with the overflow reservoir) which will allow enough air to enter and hence offset the vacuum needed to draw the cooling fluid back out of the overflow bottlle into the radiator.

Also check that the overflow hose is properly seated in the overflow bottle.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Id try another cap.

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
On a V6 do you mean the cap near the power steering reservoir with the o-ring on it ?

beans90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Thanks all for the replies I've fixed the issue.. It was the radiator overflow container itself, I just replaced the whole thing... What I think was happening is the neck of the overflow bottle was leaking where it joins to the actual overflow... Anyway it cost me 32 dollars for a genuine part from holden so easy fix!!!