Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS EXHAUST. Decisions!!!!!

quinny SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 9.5
Ok, I know there is hundreds of posts on this topic, but I am now so confused. Here is the situation.

I have an 09 VE SS auto. What I want is a bit more power on a budget (like everyone). What I would like to do is a cat back exhaust, cold air intake and a tune. I eventually want to get cats and headers but this needs to come later for funds reasons. I want a v8 that sounds like a v8 with a bit more power. I'm not going down the cam or charger path as its a daily family car. But it needs to be reasonable on the freeway. Also AFM is going to be turned off for sure.

Ok this what I have been told so far
1: 2 1/2" cat back exhaust will provide no extra power and a waste of time.
2: 2 1/2" cat back exhaust is my best option as it won't drone with the auto and will provide the best street power, like take off and out of corners but no top end as it won't breath like the 3", but will still have a great note especially when punching it.
3: 3" cat back will provide the best power and best note.
4: 3" will provide top end power because it can breath but will not provide low down power and will drone heaps on auto, highly not recommended.
5: VCM OTR is the best option over ramjet.
6: maff tune is good but a waste of money, but is conservative if fuel is an issue.
7: maff less tune is better as there are more power gains, but does use more fuel.

The exhaust I'm referring to is xforce, before anyone bags it I know there are better options out there but Im only working with what I can afford at this stage.

Sorry for the long post but I would really appreciate any help and how I should go to for a tune. So far I have been recommended TJM & DPM tullamarine. I'm in north east Melbourne.

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Ok, I know there is hundreds of posts on this topic, but I am now so confused. Here is the situation.

I have an 09 VE SS auto. What I want is a bit more power on a budget (like everyone). What I would like to do is a cat back exhaust, cold air intake and a tune. I eventually want to get cats and headers but this needs to come later for funds reasons. I want a v8 that sounds like a v8 with a bit more power. I'm not going down the cam or charger path as its a daily family car. But it needs to be reasonable on the freeway. Also AFM is going to be turned off for sure.

Ok this what I have been told so far
1: 2 1/2" cat back exhaust will provide no extra power and a waste of time.
2: 2 1/2" cat back exhaust is my best option as it won't drone with the auto and will provide the best street power, like take off and out of corners but no top end as it won't breath like the 3", but will still have a great note especially when punching it.
3: 3" cat back will provide the best power and best note.
4: 3" will provide top end power because it can breath but will not provide low down power and will drone heaps on auto, highly not recommended.
5: VCM OTR is the best option over ramjet.
6: maff tune is good but a waste of money, but is conservative if fuel is an issue.
7: maff less tune is better as there are more power gains, but does use more fuel.

The exhaust I'm referring to is xforce, before anyone bags it I know there are better options out there but Im only working with what I can afford at this stage.

Sorry for the long post but I would really appreciate any help and how I should go to for a tune. So far I have been recommended TJM & DPM tullamarine. I'm in north east Melbourne.

Ok where do we start lol.. Firstly I'd say a 2.5" will be ideal especially for an auto you MUST disable AFM it will sound like arse but you said you will so all good there!, if your not overly fused about drone maybe go 3" I'm not saying it will drone but it may drone.. I have a full 3" system on a manual and I have zero drone. Walkinshaw/.HM have well designed mufflers to combat drone on 2.5 and 3" the 3" gives one of the toughest sounding notes I've heard on a V8 commodore! But VCM is what I have and I'm happy, no drone and good quality gear. Xforce is known to drone but a 2.5" you should be fine, they have been known for poor workmanship and fitment just keep that in mind and there headers sound very tinny IMO personally I'd go pacemaker for headers If your on a budget. But exhaust choice is a matter of preference really.. one mans love is another's hate. I suggest try and listen to various exhausts and see what you like. As for an OTR VCM is without doubt the best on the market. Duspeed are pretty good but are ugly as hell! Ramjet Is probably ok but they get very dirty quickly due to the design.. but I don't know much about them.. as for the tune whoever told you mafless tuning is the best on a stock engine is simply pissing in your pocket.. the VE air flow meter flows well and you can even run some cams without going mafless. The VE responds well to MAF tuning if however you had a gen 3 well different story.. the maf is a big restriction.. I've seen MAF tuned cars crack 450hp at the rears. So get a maf tune by someone reputable like VCM or horsepower factory etc etc etc with an OTR exhaust and a tune you will be smiling :) that's my opinion feel free to ignore it lol.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

quinny SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 9.5
Ok where do we start lol.. Firstly I'd say a 2.5" will be ideal especially for an auto you MUST disable AFM it will sound like arse but you said you will so all good there!, if your not overly fused about drone maybe go 3" I'm not saying it will drone but it may drone.. I have a full 3" system on a manual and I have zero drone. Walkinshaw/.HM have well designed mufflers to combat drone on 2.5 and 3" the 3" gives one of the toughest sounding notes I've heard on a V8 commodore! But VCM is what I have and I'm happy, no drone and good quality gear. Xforce is known to drone but a 2.5" you should be fine, they have been known for poor workmanship and fitment just keep that in mind and there headers sound very tinny IMO personally I'd go pacemaker for headers If your on a budget. But exhaust choice is a matter of preference really.. one mans love is another's hate. I suggest try and listen to various exhausts and see what you like. As for an OTR VCM is without doubt the best on the market. Duspeed are pretty good but are ugly as hell! Ramjet Is probably ok but they get very dirty quickly due to the design.. but I don't know much about them.. as for the tune whoever told you mafless tuning is the best on a stock engine is simply pissing in your pocket.. the VE air flow meter flows well and you can even run some cams without going mafless. The VE responds well to MAF tuning if however you had a gen 3 well different story.. the maf is a big restriction.. I've seen MAF tuned cars crack 450hp at the rears. So get a maf tune by someone reputable like VCM or horsepower factory etc etc etc with an OTR exhaust and a tune you will be smiling :) that's my opinion feel free to ignore it lol.

So if I go a 3" and it drones to much I have the option of swapping out the rear mufflers for him or walkinshaw is that right. Would the 3" be to loud, I need it to be reasonable on the freeway

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Okay.. So..
Where to begin..
Have you heard a 2.5" exhaust? I wasn't a huge fan.. Heard a 3" and was sold on the spot.. Matter of preference.
Also have an auto.. Drone is an issue but only when the auto selects to high a gear.. Example coming up the toowoomba range is ear drum murder.. The solution is to just bump it across to manual mode and go down one gear. Even the wife doesn't have a problem.. However overtaking.. Wow.. Stamp the go pedal hard and she screams.. It's friggin awesome! Bear in mind I also have pacemaker headers and hi-flo cats..
Not the best clip in the world but this is mine ramping on the dyno this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQQmBInqrQA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

With just OTR and mafless remote tune by oz track I managed 13.2sec @108mph.. Full weight.. Crappy tires..

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
We need a OFFICIAL VE v8 SUPER MASSIVE FUN HAPPY TIME exhaust thread!!!!!!!11!!!! lol
I am getting a 3'' manta system from Not_An_Abba_Fan(when me tax gets here!) to replace my crappy none fitting and broken Xforce system:rofl2:

HavocNT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 60th Anniversary
I have just purchased and installed a 2.5" manta catback (with centre hotdogs) from Not_An_Abba_Fan.

This is on a MY08 SSV Auto. Nice burble at idle and awesome when it kicks down a gear or two.

Last edited:

quinny SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 9.5
I have just purchased and installed a 2.5" manta catback (with centre mufflers) from Not_An_Abba_Fan.

This is on a MY08 SSV Auto. Nice burble at idle and awesome when it kicks down a gear or two.

What did the the exhaust cost ya, and where is Not_An_Abba_fan, as I'm in Melbourne. Postage?

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
What did the the exhaust cost ya, and where is Not_An_Abba_fan, as I'm in Melbourne. Postage?

Not_An_Abba_fan is in Bunbury, WA , about 2 hours south of Perth

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I have a full 3" system on my R8 and no drone at all.
(xforce system)

Yea as I said it's a hit and miss with drone. But my mates xforce 3" doesn't drone but that's on a VY.