Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS exhaust

DylanDiParma

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore SV6
I have a 2.5” xforce catback and 4-1 1 7/8 extractors. The catback has mufflers in the mid and mufflers at the rest. So you could imagine it’s quiet. I plan on going to a 3” when I cam eventually but for now I want something a little louder or something that will change the note, so.
If I go straight pipes at the rear the sound will stay the same but be much louder as opposed to hotdogs on the rear which wouldn’t be as loud but change the note slightly. Is this correct or am I missing something? Recommendations also are appreciated

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Has the motor had anything done to it? If not those extractors might be too big. A 2 1/2 catback would be the right size. My ve had a 3" catback without a centre muffler when I bought it. I took it off because it droned too much. A 3" catback is too big for a standard motor and likely produce less power than the 2 1/2 system.

Last edited:

DylanDiParma

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore SV6
Has the motor had anything done to it? If not those extractors might be too big. A 2 1/2 catback would be the right size. My ve had a 3" catback without a centre muffler when I bought it. I took it off because it droned too much. A 3" catback is too big for a standard motor and likely produce less power than the 2 1/2 system.
I’m going for a 3” when I plan to cam. And got the headers to suit what will flow the best, from my research that’s the best flowing stuff you can have for a cam?

DylanDiParma

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore SV6
I’m going for a 3” when I plan to cam. And got the headers to suit what will flow the best, from my research that’s the best flowing stuff you can have for a cam?
All I’ve had don’t so far is full exhaust, air intake and tune so next up is a cam. But I’m just wondering what will make my current 2.5” a little louder. Keep in mind I’m only wanting to swap the rear mufflers around instead of wasting cash on a new 2.5” when I’ll be going 3” eventually

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
Try these j pipes. Reduces drone without the muffler or hotdogs.
54D6B3E7-C33A-437D-9CE8-71F570101F0B.png

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’ll look into it. What does it do sound wise, much louder or?
Yes much louder, the “J” pipe reduces or cancels out the drone. I had a set of 3 inch “J”pipes on my 2 1/2 exhaust and was loud.

DylanDiParma

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore SV6
Yes much louder, the “J” pipe reduces or cancels out the drone. I had a set of 3 inch “J”pipes on my 2 1/2 exhaust and was loud.
I’m not overly worried about drone it’s been pretty good so far. I drive a 6 speed also. Have you had any experience with straight pipes or hotdogs on the rear?

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’m not overly worried about drone it’s been pretty good so far. I drive a 6 speed also. Have you had any experience with straight pipes or hotdogs on the rear?
Yes I’ve got hotdog rear pipes on my SS. Minimal drone as 6speed manual, nice idle sound, quiet cruising and loud when accelerating.

DylanDiParma

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore SV6
Yes I’ve got hotdog rear pipes on my SS. Minimal drone as 6speed manual, nice idle sound, quiet cruising and loud when accelerating.
I’m thinking I will try them out, easy to change back over if need be. I had a bad experience with hotdogs on my v6 ve it was loud and so much drone it’s was the absolute worst. Was also auto