Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ss fuel pump not re-priming

Alex.a

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs clubsport
Hi guys,
Have a bit of a problem and hoping for some assistance.
I have a 07 ve ss ute. I recently bought it and has been having the following issue.
On initial turn of the key, the fuel pump can be heard priming, clicks off and car will start and runs fine. However if I turn it off, then back on the pump wont reprime and the car won't run properly. It does fire up and runs like crap, shakes and throttle modulations do nothing (can hear the motor gulping air but seems like no fuel or not enough).

But, if I remove the key, lock and unlock l, the pump will prime and car will fire up fine... Without Any issues!
Is this Bcm related? Some security feature playing up? What tells the pumps to reprime and or turn back on after they have initially primed?
Checked all fuses and relays.. The key is getting hard to turn in the barrel and requires some jiggling.
The car has a 416cube stroker but was playing up before I built it...
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

RIC369

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Hi Alex.a
It could be the ECM reset problem. You can try do not unplug the key, disconnect the battery for 1 or 2 minutes, this will reset ECM (will lost all settings, radio stations, lights settings,...est)

Alex.a

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs clubsport
Thanks for the reply, so your saying leave the key in the ignition and disconnect the battery for a few minutes?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
they wont prime with every key on, its a time delay between primes

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I didn't think they prime just pump, have you tried pulling up the fault codes.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Have you tested fuel pressure at the rail?

RIC369

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Thanks for the reply, so your saying leave the key in the ignition and disconnect the battery for a few minutes?
(But, if I remove the key, lock and unlock l, the pump will prime and car will fire up fine... Without Any issues!)
See, remove the key, it only totally disconnect the electrical circuits. Does not effect anything else. same as reset.
of course, This is only logically thinking. I believed its not harmful.
My story: worm start, crank too long. I disconnect the thermo sensor. measure and reconnect again. then display keeping tell me not connected, and two fan on together. spend a long time, I try disconnect battery, few minutes connect again. get to normal, of course, worm start problem still there.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Have you had your fuel rail pressure test yet? Have you scanned for faults? Could be a bad coil, bad plug.