Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

braaam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi everyone,

Trying to decide what exhaust to go with for a 2008 VE SSV.

My first preference would be a full engine back system with headers, high flow cats and cat back, however my main concern is whether this will cause fault codes to appear. I've tried asking several exhaust shops and I can't get a straight answer.
I know getting a tune will eliminate codes if they did appear, but I don't want to get a tune at this stage, all I'm after is a really good sound (extra performance not really necessary).
So basically, If i was to get a full system, will the fault codes appear? And if so, is there a different way of fixing other than a tune?

I'm also considering just a cat-back, but a lot of people have been saying the sound is no where near as good as getting the full system.

Lastly, I know it's been asked many times, but while I'm here what are people's opinions in regards to the sound of Di Filippo compared to XForce compared to Hurricane?

Thanks your time,
Brady

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
I would highly suggest di filippo over any system, especially the 1 3/4 headers with hi flow cats into a 3' or 2.5 if you have a auto (help with no drone)
Because you are changing the position of the cats, the codes generally relate to the o2 sensors being in different position, you will need a tune to be able to drive the car without something going wrong!
C and a autofashion do a full di filippo system/otr/tune for $4700.
Next best and cheaper option would be the set up through a member here named NAAF, he does a manta system with hurricane headers for around $2700, you will still need a tune when fitting this as the cats position will change.
You could do a catback and you wont need to change anything but youll find not long after you do that youll be wanting the headers and cats anyway, so id suggest to do it all at once!
I did the catback otr and tune route and ended up getting some other headers down the track which made me think i should have done the lot to begin with!!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
You don't have to get a tune to jimmy rig the CEL but seriously why have a full sports exhaust on an untuned car?
Better off with the sound of a tuned car and no brand / stock mufflers than enhancing untuned car by fitting an expensive exhaust!
Difilippo catback sounds like absolute **** without decent headers and cats. They all do.
It's the power that sounds sexy, not the pipes. So make the tune your first priority (not last), followed by headers (matched by tuner - it's not a retail brand shopping thing), then perhaps you'll find the importance of (the expensive) branded catback pipes are in fact quite irrelevant. Sound attenuation of your tuned engine power is at the rear muffler, mainly. Xforce have a neat new phone app programmable OBDII system for their bimodals, hard to beat.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The bimodals are almost as expensive as a decent catback anyway.

The CEL is triggered by 2 things, firstly the coating the on headers burns off contaminating the sensors, and secondly, the way the high flow cats work (or don't work to be accurate). The rear sensors read the change in O2 from the front sensors, if there is not enough of a change for the sensor to detect it triggers the CEL for a cat fault. High flow cats do not work as effectively as OEM cats so the sensors won't pick up the change.

A cat back will not trigger the CEL.

It's not going to damage anything by driving with the CEL on, the PCM triggers the fault because something isn't right, but it's not one of the faults that puts the car in limp mode.

BROOKSBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV
The bimodals are almost as expensive as a decent catback anyway.

The CEL is triggered by 2 things, firstly the coating the on headers burns off contaminating the sensors, and secondly, the way the high flow cats work (or don't work to be accurate). The rear sensors read the change in O2 from the front sensors, if there is not enough of a change for the sensor to detect it triggers the CEL for a cat fault. High flow cats do not work as effectively as OEM cats so the sensors won't pick up the change.

A cat back will not trigger the CEL.

It's not going to damage anything by driving with the CEL on, the PCM triggers the fault because something isn't right, but it's not one of the faults that puts the car in limp mode.
Do you think the mini cats spacer like this https://www.amazon.com/Minicat-Sensor-Spacer-Adapter-Extender/dp/B00CBKEC06 would help in not getting an error code. I'm looking into doing the same on my SSV but im unsure if these would work so ive been saving for the tune

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Do you think the mini cats spacer like this https://www.amazon.com/Minicat-Sensor-Spacer-Adapter-Extender/dp/B00CBKEC06 would help in not getting an error code. I'm looking into doing the same on my SSV but im unsure if these would work so ive been saving for the tune
Yes. The catch is that deliberate installation of a cheat device wouldn't pass a visual inspection, ie you are obviously tampering with emissions control equipment. No excused faulty component or wiring or whacky ECU. Whereas with OEM fitting in place and logically not reporting an error at least does pass a visual test.
Sniff is different, and CARB OBDII drive time readiness (I think is coming) is different again.