Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS- Full exhaust, tune needed?

daniel95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi Guys,

i've got a VE SSV A6 which i have a full 3inch exhaust ready to put on. It's a hurricane system so this includes long tube headers which move the cats further back. As a result, from my research this is likely to cause a check engine light due to the o2 sensors reading different.

I would like to avoid getting a tune until later due to cashflow, am i able to get away without a tune or will this cause damage?

Cheers

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Gday, I had a full exhaust fitted in a 09 Caprice and as expected after a short while the check engine light came on.
It doesn't hurt the car at all but I can't stand warning lights so I would recommend getting a tune also, you won't regret it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
As above, the light will come on but it won't do any damage. I would get it tuned though, makes a huge difference to driveability.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
WOT is fine, seriously, it is putting around that relies on the O2 sensors. Idling and low load is likely not going to do damage just throw a light. Transition between incorrect state of putting around part throttle mode and incorrect power enrichment mode is the worst.
Be aware of that while you save $450 for a proper fix. Having a light on can mean a thousand things, don’t drive around with it on, rather keep an eye on engine reports (you are not receiving because the exhaust is keeping the light on) using an OBD dongle to read and clear codes.

ivyssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ivy ssv
I have the rear half of the system on an till I can get the long tube 4into1 headers an tune it will be staying like that lol but it does sound really good though