Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS hotdog rear tailpipes

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
These are the stock J-pipes inside the AFM muffler:
a4u3y9a5.jpg

These are tuned length J-pipes (called Helmholtz chambers) fitted parallel, outside aftermarket axleback.
u8y2ege9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Darren D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Z-Series 6M Sedan
darren-d-albums-ss-z-picture152789-j-pipe-ss-z.jpg

Here is how they look in lieu of the rear muffler.

Mine are adjustable to tune out the drone, you go for a run and load it up at the "risk" rpm. If it drones then adjust in or out about 12mm a time until you achieve the optimum length for you reverberations.

Darren

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
mate, the end of the j pipe is blocked so the sound wave or frequency that causes drone bounces back down the pipe to equalise or cancel out the drone.it doesnt give off any more heat than the exhaust pipe does maybe less as no exhaust gases are actually going thru it only sound waves.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
mate, the end of the j pipe is blocked so the sound wave or frequency that causes drone bounces back down the pipe to equalise or cancel out the drone.it doesnt give off any more heat than the exhaust pipe does maybe less as no exhaust gases are actually going thru it only sound waves.

That makes sense, I couldn't tell from those pics if they were open or not.

d1ll1g4f

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SS Z-Series M6
I put on a set of these, they are amazing for the price.

Almost no drone at all, what is left after tuning the j-pipe is very minimal and very easy to mange with driving style.

And they are interchangeable within minutes, no jacks or anything, just undo 2 bolts and slide them off if you want.

Commodore VE Sports Exhaust With Adjustable Pipes | eBay

Darren

I have ordered this set of J-Pipes, I will post some photos and a video for you guys when I receive them.

d1ll1g4f

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SS Z-Series M6
Hi Guys

Received the J Pipes today and fitted them up, was fairly easy to install and only required a small amount of persuasion. Honestly I am fairly happy with the sound for $395. It does have a bit of crackle when you lift off the throttle but without spending the money on a decent exhaust I really cant complain. Some people may not like it but I think it sounds much better than stock. Check out the link below to have a look and listen.

VE SS J Pipes - YouTube

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Nice vid mate, good value improvement and tips complete your arse end. Was expecting a horrendous mess and sounds great. The cackle is not the mufflers btw, its tune / cats.