Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS hotdog rear tailpipes

d1ll1g4f

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SS Z-Series M6
Apologies if someone has a post about this already I did extensively search to see if there was a thread about this and couldn't find anything.
I am looking for a short term option to give me a better note from my VE SS and have been looking at replacing the rear mufflers with hotdogs.

VE SS/SV6 Sedan & Wagon 2 ½

Has anyone done this and what does it sound like? Obviously I realise that full exhaust will sound better and I when I get the money together I will do full exhaust, CAI and tune just looking for something short term.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
The drone will kill you the first time you go over 80km/h. The vibration in that drone that comes through the cabin will literally make you dizzy and feel sick. Been there, done that. A similar option that actually works are j-pipes, aka helmholtz chambers. About the same price also.

SSV-050

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Speed
I just replaced my x-force which didn't have rear resonators with a d&t system that has hotdogs after the mufflers and it sounds so much better on wot and no drone no more, its good because I got a lumpy cam so I can keep it quiet when cops are around.

d1ll1g4f

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SS Z-Series M6
The drone will kill you the first time you go over 80km/h. The vibration in that drone that comes through the cabin will literally make you dizzy and feel sick. Been there, done that. A similar option that actually works are j-pipes, aka helmholtz chambers. About the same price also.

Thanks for the suggestion, did you fit the j-pipe?

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Im tempted to buy the 'blank' straight thru pipes and get my own muffler welded in, like a hi quality hooker or similar for a different note. Any opinions on that idea??

Darren D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Z-Series 6M Sedan
I put on a set of these, they are amazing for the price.

Almost no drone at all, what is left after tuning the j-pipe is very minimal and very easy to mange with driving style.

And they are interchangeable within minutes, no jacks or anything, just undo 2 bolts and slide them off if you want.

Commodore VE Sports Exhaust With Adjustable Pipes | eBay

Darren

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
Photo0017.jpgPhoto0015.jpg11122010.jpg
Apologies if someone has a post about this already I did extensively search to see if there was a thread about this and couldn't find anything.
I am looking for a short term option to give me a better note from my VE SS and have been looking at replacing the rear mufflers with hotdogs.

VE SS/SV6 Sedan & Wagon 2 ½

Has anyone done this and what does it sound like? Obviously I realise that full exhaust will sound better and I when I get the money together I will do full exhaust, CAI and tune just looking for something short term.
i have hotdog rear tail pipes and it does drone but i lined the boot to block it out.the sound is deep and throaty with burble when slowing down.some like it, some dont but each to there own ,ive also had 3 inch j pipes aswell.no drone but they sounded very loud and shite on my car so they went.

Last edited:

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Thanks for the suggestion, did you fit the j-pipe?

Yeah I did. Very similar to the ones listed above on eBay but mine were pre tuned. On some occasions on the freeway at 110 on long up hills they got a bit noisy inside, not too bad, but I just flicked her back to 5th then and she goes quiet as a mouse.

goodie78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 304 / VE SS Manual LPG
Yeah I did. Very similar to the ones listed above on eBay but mine were pre tuned. On some occasions on the freeway at 110 on long up hills they got a bit noisy inside, not too bad, but I just flicked her back to 5th then and she goes quiet as a mouse.

I also fitted J pipes to the girlies SS. It makes it louder, but a pleasant level. Burbles nice on deceleration too. If anything it can get a little loud under load in 6th gear, but a budget mod really (I got mine done at Carline Raymond Terrace NSW). The guy at Carline said that he wished he had done this mod rather than spending bulk cash on a walkinshaw system.

Food for thought though, I wanted a family friendly V8 though - so it's not overly load...my VK is louder.