Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Known problems ?

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
Heya fellas.
Lookin to getta VE SSV manual, pref an 07 onwards but was just wondering if there are known issues.

So far i've heard if issues with a shudder around the 100km/h mark.
Normal Diag was the tailshaft or what not ?

any info would be great.

Also, kinda off topic but hows the fuel usage with these animals ?? (I know..its a 6l 8...)

-Geoff

panthergreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS karma blue
I average around 12l/100km with my 2008 V8 auto, hasn't been touched tune wise

plastic trim on the bottom sides of the drivers seat has split, common apparently

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
thanks greeen....
i'm assuming thats drivin likea granny ? or is that with a some acceleration here and there..
(not a boot full...as in just a gentle sqeeze to get infront of a car ..)

ozi_musl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6
I average around 12l/100km with my 2008 V8 auto,

6L V8 auto not tuned 12l/100km hmmm...................... do u wanna tell us the secret PLS!!!
mine is m6 '08 ss and it does 'bout 14.5, 14.8L/100km. 12 to 12.5L/100km I heard it's possible, but with muffles tune and nice OTR and exhaust.

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV & 1999 VT SS SII
Driving around the burbs in my A6 08 (inc the occassional squirt on the throttle) I get approx 16L/100km. On a flat highway I'll get low 9's to high 8's L/100km if I set cruise to 105/110kph post mods which inc: OTRCAI, tune and full 2.5 inch exhaust system. More power, less fuel = happy driving.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Heya fellas.
Lookin to getta VE SSV manual, pref an 07 onwards but was just wondering if there are known issues.

So far i've heard if issues with a shudder around the 100km/h mark.
Normal Diag was the tailshaft or what not ?

I have had 2 SS/V's and done nearly 200,000 km in them. 1 had the vibration whilst the other didn't. Holden fitted a dampener to the auto which fixed the problem (only some cars have the vibration problem apparently).

My original car had some software glitches with the radio/bcm/center stack which Holden eventually replace the whole thing. On very cold mornings it took 10 min or so for the backlight to work in the radio/gauges above for some reason. My current MY09 has had no such issues.

Automatic gearbox calibration is slightly different in the newwer car and I suspect they have steadily tweaked it all along. Not to say the old one was bad - just this one seems a bit better.

The flip key died in both cars after about 75,000 km (flip out thing stopped working properly). Can't think of any other issues that I have had. Overall I have been happy with the cars.

Hope this helps.

Reaper

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
Reaper..thanku so much.
btw...are u on oroadsports ??

still hunting for an SSV but can't find one at around the 35K mark..for an 07 manual under 60kms...anyway.

can't wait to get one though...mods would prolly be a growler to make it breathe more and an xforce VAREX system..
anythoughts on them ?

getting mild steel: 2.5inch...
gonna post up a new thread about it though.

panthergreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS karma blue
thanks greeen....
i'm assuming thats drivin likea granny ? or is that with a some acceleration here and there..
(not a boot full...as in just a gentle sqeeze to get infront of a car ..)

mainly rural driving, few stops and starts but it does some hard acceleration here and there such as overtaking...

seanssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6spd man with WP power pack
geo41e,
I have a 2009 SS-V with 14500km's on the clock. I have encountered no problems with my car yet and it's had a Walkinshaw power pack installed. The only gripe I have is that the gear stick makes a noticable vibration sound when you accelerate hard but it appears to be across the range with the manuals, as I know people who have the same problem.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Hi ge41e,
Mine's an '08 manual ss ute that's done just shy of 30,000km. Only problem I've had with it is the power steering pulley threw itself out of alignment. Haven't heard of it happening much. I must have just been lucky. Was a warranty fix so didn't cost anything. Other than that it's all been great!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you're doing mostly city driving you'll be looking at around 18-19L/100 without running with everyone at the lights who wants a race - and they will!