Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MR60LTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV REDLINE UTE 6.0L L77
Hi guys,

Just bought a 2010 VE SSV REDLINE UTE, L77 With 140000km. Has a folder of receipts including 355rwkw dyno sheets.

Sold to me as 'needs lifters replaced' and I got it for 11k. Im hoping that's a good price and that's all that's wrong with it. As I have just lost my house, 2 cars and almost everything I own in the bushfires.

It has a bigger cam, full exhaust system, coilovers, 20" rims ect. So anyway...

It makes a ticking sound constantly, moreso at revs over 3k. Doesn't seem to be louder when it's cold or on start up and it's not as loud as I'd expect lifters to be.

I can see the cam and lifters were done in December 2013.. and lifters replaced again in July 2016 with LS7 ones..

Just wondering if anyone can tell me which brand/type of lifters I should get to replace them.. from what I've read online most people suggest LS7 ones again..

What would cause lifters to go in them again for at least the 3rd time in 6 years?

One mechanic told me it could be the incorrect engine geometry which is the cause.. Does this mean the cam, lifters, rods ect don't suit each other 100% or not sized right and putting more pressure on the lifters or valvetrain?

My mechanic has suggested crow LS7 lifters, ARP bolts and a VRS KIT to fix the problem, but hasn't had much experience with these motors.

But I'm wondering if I should pull the heads off to inspect everything before I buy parts incase the cam lobes have been worn down or should I be checking anything else before I buy replacement lifters? Should I be replacing or upgrading anything else while it's open?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated as I am stuck on what the best options are in proceeding.

Thanks

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Welcome to my world,
If you take the turtle cover off, you cant hear it as bad,
The L77's are always noisy due to AFM,
Turn the radio a bit louder, and [the lifter noise] goes away. :)

Mine IS always noisy when cold, [first startup] till it gets up to temp,
and purr's along nicely ;)

Love my L77 :)

Last edited:

MR60LTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV REDLINE UTE 6.0L L77
Welcome to my world,
If you take the turtle cover off, you cant hear it as bad,
The L77's are always noisy due to AFM,
Turn the radio a bit louder, and [the lifter noise] goes away. :)

Mine IS always noisy when cold, [first startup] till it gets up to temp,
and purr's along nicely ;)

Love my L77 :)

Haha I was thinking of leaving it as it isn't too bad a noise.. but the previous owner noticed the change and took it off the road, his mechanic said 100% just lifters.

What would be my best course of action now? The options I am thinking are.

1. Replace only the lifters which means head gaskets and head bolts. Probably going to cost at least $1000-$1500

2. Buy a new cam kit with similar specs as the one I've got, while it's apart check pushrods for correct length and replace if need be.. might cost $2000-$2500

3. Leave it and tighten headers, an oil flush, fresh oil, filter and lifter additive. $150

4. What would you guys do?

The prices are approx but my mechanic looks after me and only charges labour and I get my own parts.
Cheers

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Mine was a bit low in oil on Tuesday, and its due for a service 175,000k's [its done 172,000]
I have always run 5w-30 as specified,;)
I had some cheap oil [20w-50] here I use in the 3 Mazda 3's we have, :eek:
I topped it up [as it needed 2 litres, being it was below the hatched lines on the dipstick],
and when I started it, as normal, it was noisy on first start up, where its always a bit tappity till it gets up to temp.:confused:
but it was much quieter when I left home,
either extra [thicker] oil fixed the problem,
or
I have enough oil in it now. :rolleyes:

Yes its a 1/2 engine pull down I believe, and read about,
inlet manifold off,
Heads off
etc, ect,
Wont be happening here to soon,
But If I do, it will only be new lifters and head gaskets.
Its not really broken, apart from the lifters on the drivers side playing a tune in the morning.