Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve Ss lifters

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Nope cause I said can I just get lifters quote n he said it’s $3500 then the cam would harden and another $4500 for cam. Well I’m pretty sure.

In that case walk away and get other prices.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Nayxx how many k's has the car done and has it been serviced according to manufacturers date/time schedule its whole life?

If so, the other avenue is to look at your Consumer Law statutory warranty claim as lifters/cams shoudln't go titts up after just 11 years (if it's a low mileage example of an 09 VE)...

I'd also, clarify exactly what the mecahnic actually meant as it could be that he quoted for only lifters @ $3500 but felt it was not the best option to take as the cam was also likely stuffed AND unless you addressed the cam at the same time, then you'd soon be back having to replace the lifters and cam @$4500 (to correctly fix all damaged parts, including the newly installed lifters)... do it right the first time may? have been what he was trying to get across... So clarify exatly what he ment and what guarantee he would provide on the engine and workmanship.

Others can mention how much engine work is really needed to be done if lifters are squeeking (guess it depends on whether metalic particles are going through the oiling system).

Also consider going back to the mechanic that did your oil change (if you suspect the wrong oil was put in it) and have an oil flush additive put in, run the engine for 15m then dump the oil and filter and replace with new (correct grade) oil and filter ... but such is a long shot as squeeks as metal on metal sort of noise :p

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I had a similar noise. Turned out to be the valve lifters on two cylinders literally scraping on the camshaft lobes, presumably due to lack of lubrication or more likely, faulty manufacture. This was despite regular servicing and oil & filter changes every 7,500 km with fully synthetic 5W-30 oil. Solution was a complete top end overhaul with new camshaft, lifters, cylinder heads reconditioning and replacing the oil pump and pick up with a high volume Mellings unit. Total cost was just under $5000.

I had a lifter wipe the lobe off my LS3 a few years ago. More or less lunched the engine.

Nayxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss 6.0
@Nayxx how many k's has the car done and has it been serviced according to manufacturers date/time schedule its whole life?

If so, the other avenue is to look at your Consumer Law statutory warranty claim as lifters/cams shoudln't go titts up after just 11 years (if it's a low mileage example of an 09 VE)...

I'd also, clarify exactly what the mecahnic actually meant as it could be that he quoted for only lifters @ $3500 but felt it was not the best option to take as the cam was also likely stuffed AND unless you addressed the cam at the same time, then you'd soon be back having to replace the lifters and cam @$4500 (to correctly fix all damaged parts, including the newly installed lifters)... do it right the first time may? have been what he was trying to get across... So clarify exatly what he ment and what guarantee he would provide on the engine and workmanship.

Others can mention how much engine work is really needed to be done if lifters are squeeking (guess it depends on whether metalic particles are going through the oiling system).

Also consider going back to the mechanic that did your oil change (if you suspect the wrong oil was put in it) and have an oil flush additive put in, run the engine for 15m then dump the oil and filter and replace with new (correct grade) oil and filter ... but such is a long shot as squeeks as metal on metal sort of noise :p
Oh yes that maybe be what he was saying ..... I know he can’t do it till next year so stuff that! And always serviced, it just hit 200,000ks, and I only just got the oil pressure sensor replaced so I really do think the wrong oil went in or it’s too thick cause I feel as if it happened straight after. But everyone I asked about oil change and filter change said it’s prob not going to change anything. So it’s just currently sitting in my driveway till I work out what to do. But I’m actually thinking I may give this a go an just do it myself what do you recommend on oil

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I've done 3 of these. I've put the issue down to either the buckets or the cam bearings or both. I'm a mechanic by trade.
To do the job properly the block needs to be stripped down and sent to an engine builder with the cam so they can verify the new cam beraing when installed and scrape if necessary.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've done 3 of these. I've put the issue down to either the buckets or the cam bearings or both. I'm a mechanic by trade.
To do the job properly the block needs to be stripped down and sent to an engine builder with the cam so they can verify the new cam beraing when installed and scrape if necessary.
And everyone says the go is a V8 and the best option is an LS......

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
And everyone says the go is a V8 and the best option is an LS......

The LS is not a very strong engine tbh. The head bolt threads in the block have issues and if they fail you need to time sert them. The block will flex, a plumber my old boss is mates with had a VU ute with a centrifical blower making 900hp and after a big power pull oil would drip off it.

Every big power LS based engine in the US is running a aftermarket block which is to address the inherit weakness issues with stock blocks.

A LS block will hold more power than a holden block but the longevity is not there the holden block will go forever at 800hp level.

The design of the LS is better which is why I would love to see an aftermarket LS style block that can run holden heads. So basically a holden engine with LS crank, rear main, oil pump, balancer, cam, lifters, conrods and pistons.

Nayxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss 6.0
oh I don’t love the sound of that price