Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve Ss lifters

Nayxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss 6.0
So I have a 09 ss 6.0 amf.
Well I just got my oil sensor replaced and oil change basically that night I had a noise in my engine a squeaky noise as if my fan belt pulley was on the out.
so I took it in the the shop they replaced a pulley and it was still making this noise. Apparently it’s my lifters but it’s not tapping or what not it’s basically the sound of a pulley going, took belt off n wasn’t any of them.
so someone has told me that if they put the wrong
oil in it would possibly block my lifters and all I could need is a new filter and change? Help me please ahaha
Also if it is the lifters I’m in Shepparton vic only one place does them I feel the price was way to high and he didn’t look just listened n said it was that, so I’m looking at recommendations for Victoria and I guess a price. Est.
It’s stock engine also if this helps.
And Shepparton place said I have to replace the cam otherwise it hardens n I have to replace it anyways?

pnlimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice L98
I had a similar noise. Turned out to be the valve lifters on two cylinders literally scraping on the camshaft lobes, presumably due to lack of lubrication or more likely, faulty manufacture. This was despite regular servicing and oil & filter changes every 7,500 km with fully synthetic 5W-30 oil. Solution was a complete top end overhaul with new camshaft, lifters, cylinder heads reconditioning and replacing the oil pump and pick up with a high volume Mellings unit. Total cost was just under $5000.

Attachments

• Damaged Camshaft - Highlight.jpg
    Damaged Camshaft - Highlight.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 238

Nayxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss 6.0
Oh wow yeh I was quoted from $3500-$8500 which shook me
Contemplated getting a whole other motor as it would be cheaper.
under $5 k isn’t that bad.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Oh wow yeh I was quoted from $3500-$8500 which shook me
Contemplated getting a whole other motor as it would be cheaper.
under $5 k isn’t that bad.
Trouble is if you get another L76 engine which is what you have currently you could just end up with the same problem again, they are known for it

Nayxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss 6.0
Trouble is if you get another L76 engine which is what you have currently you could just end up with the same problem again, they are known for it
Damn thanks yeh didn’t really consider that
Don’t happen to know how much it’s worth with the lifter needing replacing just hit 200,000 ks auto n black no damage, just considering my options

pnlimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice L98
I had a second hand replacement L98 supplied and fitted a couple of years ago after the original engine expired after 512,000 km. The second engine cost $6,000 installed and had 70,000 on it. It has now done 110,000 and required the top end overhaul. Just goes to show that a replacement engine can still have the problem at what I would consider relatively low kms for a V8.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I had a second hand replacement L98 supplied and fitted a couple of years ago after the original engine expired after 512,000 km. The second engine cost $6,000 installed and had 70,000 on it. It has now done 110,000 and required the top end overhaul. Just goes to show that a replacement engine can still have the problem at what I would consider relatively low kms for a V8.
They seem to be a bit hit and miss with cam and lifter troubles, some go for for years and years without any issues and some seem to be failing with relatively low k’s like yours, my L98 has has 149k on the clock and occasionally makes a bit of lifter noise for a second or 2 on cold start like a lot of them but is otherwise good hopefully shouldn‘t have any failures

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Damn thanks yeh didn’t really consider that
Don’t happen to know how much it’s worth with the lifter needing replacing just hit 200,000 ks auto n black no damage, just considering my options
Really depends where you go prices are bound to vary a bit from workshop to workshop, I’m in NZ so can’t really advise you on a good one although might be a good excuse to go for an aftermarket performance cam as your gonna be replacing cam and lifters anyway?

Nayxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss 6.0
Really depends where you go prices are bound to vary a bit from workshop to workshop, I’m in NZ so can’t really advise you on a good one although might be a good excuse to go for an aftermarket performance cam as your gonna be replacing cam and lifters anyway?
Yeh well that’s n opinion too with the cam, and Hahaa yeh understand with the price difference every where

Nayxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss 6.0
Ah yeh that sucks 3 times n u have stuck by the ss hey
I’m just impatient and want it fixed.
thanks for the input tho