Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Manual speedo problem

s65481

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS UTE
driving home from work and i hear the warning signal come on and i look at the screen in the cluster and it has a big red cross on it saying contact dealer and my speedo dropped from 100 to 0and didn't work at all

so i pulled over turned the car off and locked it and the ngot back in and started and it was fine, and it happened 5 times now

any ideas what it could be? faulty electrical in the box maybe?
before i go spending more money at holden i want to know if i can do it myself first

thanks in advance

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
possibly the battery?
do you know how old it is?
weird electrical things happen to VE's when the batteries are on their way out (stacks of threads on it with lots of different problems encountered)
batteries in VE's seem to last 3-4 years

it may not be the battery...but I just thought i'd suggest it as it's an easy thing to cross of the list of possible causes to the problem

s65481

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS UTE
i hope its not the battery

i just spent $1000 on new battery and starter at holden about a month ago

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
i hope its not the battery

i just spent $1000 on new battery and starter at holden about a month ago

They love to charge dont they. I was just quoted $285 for a battery. $90 for an air filter. And on the invoice they quoted me.. Rear brakes low $535. You would hope that included rear rotors at least and pads and new fluid.
Do you have one of those Elm bluetooth devices? this may tell you a fault code and give you something to look at.

s65481

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS UTE
yeah, they are a rip off, way over priced for everything

no i haven't heard of them?
are they cheap?

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
yeah, they are a rip off, way over priced for everything

no i haven't heard of them?
are they cheap?

Yeah they are cheap $13 on ebay think they are called ELM 324 or something. You then buy the dashcommand app for your phone $10. It plugs into the cars OBD2 port located under the steering wheel and you find it with your phones bluetooth. Tells you all kinds of parameters relating to the car and also has a section to check for vehicle fault codes. Well worth it for the price and novelty factor. I would try and disconnect the battery for an hour and see if it still has an issue.

s65481

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS UTE
sounds like a worthy investment, saves me going down to holden to ask them to plug it up

thanks for your help :)

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
If you are a member of an Auto Club (RACV, NRMA, RACQ, RAA etc) contact them and have their mobile patrol check your battery and perform a 'load test'. Other alternative of to go to a reputable Auto Electrician and ask for a load test. Only sure way to ascertain the condition of the battery. If the battery checks out OK then you may have a 'leakage' of power from the battery causing it to drop voltage over time. An Auto Electrician could check this for you. If you go to a Dealer and request such work, chances are they won't have their own 'sparkie' and will call in one who charges THEM the lowest price(s).