Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Manual to WM Auto - Dash Swap / Conversion

Dancindave78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V UTE
I have a VE SS Ute (manual) and would like to change the dash & stereo to one from a WM Caprice, purely for the blue/white back-lighting (I really don't like the red). Does anyone know if this is possible? Any problems I may run into?

Cheers, Dave.

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
I'm preety sure it will fit straight in but it needs to be reprogrammed to suit your car.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
I believe you can change the colour of your dash, but may need a tech11 or equivalent. Holden dealer could do it maybe, but I doubt it would be for free

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
ASR (forum sponsor) can change your dash lights to blue/white.

He changed mine to blue/white and they turned out awesome. Not that expensive either. See pics in My Ride thread in my sig.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
If you want to swap bits from your cluster, with a caprice cluster, then you are going to be out of luck...
(Been there, done that, and spent bucket loads of $$$$ trying to get a E3 Grange cluster to physically fit my Calais)...

Actually, none of the cluster parts are interchangeable (The cluster board, needles, face, screen and chassis are all different as the Statesman / Caprice cluster has its temp and fuel gauge elevated above the speedo / tacho. (They are also positioned further outward than the SWB clusters).

If you want to fit the cluster, you will need the Statesman / Caprice crash pad, passenger airbag trim, silver trim spears, lower radio surround, and radio.....
It would only be worth while if you had access to a statesman / caprice wreck, and the amount of trim bits you would need to source would cost a lot of $$$$ of buying from Holden.

Radio and Cluster would also need programming, but in terms of wiring, everything should be there.
(If your SS is a series I, with a non LCD screen, you will also need to modify your HVAC HCE to fool the headunit in to thinking you have Dual Zone Climate Control)

I hope this helps.

(P.S. I have a brand spanking new E3 Grange cluster if you still wanted to go ahead Lol !)

Dancindave78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V UTE
Yeah, I know the backlights will be relatively easy, it's the LCD that I'm not sure about. Don't think it will be as easy as it should be.

Dancindave78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V UTE
Nice Ride Davey! But, you don't have any pics of the dash! lol. Where are ASR located? Do you know if they have a branch in Brisbane? Do you mind if I ask exactly (or even approximately what "Not that expensive" is?

Thanks, Dave.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Nice Ride Davey! But, you don't have any pics of the dash! lol. Where are ASR located? Do you know if they have a branch in Brisbane? Do you mind if I ask exactly (or even approximately what "Not that expensive" is?

Thanks, Dave.

The pics are on page 3, see below:

IMG_4151.jpg

IMG_4150.jpg

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4152.jpg

IMG_4148.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

ASR are in western Sydney. He does do road trips to QLD every now and then when a few forum members are interested in getting work done together. He can also mail you out a kit to DIY, or get someone else up there to install. You have to be pretty handy with a soldering iron though.

I had it done about 3 years ago, so don't remember exactly, but it was $200 - $300. I just really disliked the red and found it hard to read..

Dancindave78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V UTE
That looks ****-HOT!!! Exactly what I'm going for and for the same reason. Got a hold of ASR, thanks for that. Also found a How-To guide and trying to decide whether to have a crack myself. I'm OK with a soldering iron, but not sure if it's good enough for LEDs.... :/ $300 sounds pretty fair, too, so might leave it to the Pros.

Thanks again for all your info.