Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS misfire and ticking noise

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Hi guys I have a manual 2007 SSV that developed a ticking noise and misfire today, I went for a drive about 1.5 hours car was running great stopped for a while and when I restarted the car it was running rough misfiring and ticking it’s mostly at lower revs at about 2700 - 3000 rpm it seems to clear itself out somewhat.. the ticking is very localised to the drivers side rear of the engine so I pulled the rocker cover off to check for broken valve springs or loose rocker bolts and the like all seems to be good I got the mrs to wind the car over a few times and the valves all appear to be opening and closing as they should..
Any ideas? Injector maybe?

lazyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 M6
I have no idea, but I love the fact you call 2700-3000 low rpm.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Did you fill up with fuel prior to the issue? It could be dirty fuel that causes this. If you’re lucky, just water contamination, so a half bottle of metho should clear it. If you’re unlucky, it’s some other crap so tank clean, flush lines and sonic clean injectors may be needed.

Other than that, don’t know, maybe faulty injector or faulty ignition lead or faulty spark plug, or faulty coil pack

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well probably contaminated fuel caused your issue.

But I’m not sure what the laws are in NZ re poor quality fuel causing vehicle damage. On paper we have strong protection via ACL in Australia but in reality it’s rather poor protection (due to the process and associated costs required to win a tribunal case).

So check with your consumer protection body and see what can be done. Maybe insurance will cover such damage (as is the case here where regulators have dropped the ball and think vehicle insurance is the solution).

Last edited:

lazyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 M6
I have now read that again, with no codes and better at high rpm, ecu controls spark and fuel, the only variable is air.
Vac leak somewhere? Pcv hose?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ No lit check engine lamp does not mean no pending codes or intermittent problems due to shitty fuel.

Almost always, a problem after filling up is due to sub standard fuel. Usually but not always, if it’s not nasty bad, it clears at next fill when clean fuel is added.

Edited to add following: when injectors get fouled with small amounts of water, higher rpm may make the problem seem less pronounced as combustible fuel gets through the injectors. If lots of water in fuel then you usually experience lots of engine shake and check engine lamp is lit up as too much engine vibration is detected. Solid particles in fuel usually cause fuel filter clogging which leads to low fuel pressure codes.

So OP could be suffering small water contamination of a coincidental small air leak. As such, I’d try some metho in the tank first (as it allows the water and petrol to mix and get through the filter baskets on the injectors). Just remember adding metho to the tank may preclude any fuel contamination claim

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
What’s metho mate and where would ya get it? Bearing in mind I’m in NZ