Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS modifications

webby123

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss v
Hey guys and girls, I was just wondering whether you could answer a few questions for me.

I'm about to purchase a VE SS Manual and seeing as im coming from a 330kw atw Mist. Evolution, I am wanting to give it a bit more kick and torque across the board. And seeing as I've never owned a V8 before i don't know squat! I've read that an exhaust, cam upgrade, intake and tune are the best bang for buck mods you can do, is this true ???

I was thinking about going for a x force exhaust but i can't seem to find a price anywhere for the life of me !! Can anyone give me a rough idea what im looking at ? And also whats the main difference between mild and stainless in the V8's ?? I also wanted to keep it at 2.5" so it's still stays subtle when idleing at lights but when i boot it has a nice deep bark to it.

Also the cam setups are completely different on the V8's as opposed to turbos so i've got no idea what im looking at. Its only a street driven car so i figure power and torque down low would be better rather than a extra 15kw or so past the 6500rpm mark. Anyone have suggestions or thoughts ?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Cheers.

txhog

Reaction score
If your only driving in around the streets the 6.0 V8 has way too much power, just wait till you get it first. Modifications wont be needed for on the road use. You will be very happy as is.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
If your only driving in around the streets the 6.0 V8 has way too much power, just wait till you get it first. Modifications wont be needed for on the road use. You will be very happy as is.

You're kidding right? A stock VE 6.0 aint no rocketship. They're sluggish and restricted to hell so a few simple mods make them so much better to drive and enjoy, especially on the street.

OP, the mods you listed above are pretty right much on the money IMO. A full exhaust, OTR, cam and tune will improve the car drastically. I'd also factor in a decent clutch possibly, depending which way you go with a cam. In terms of cam size, I'd just get in touch with a reputable tuner (or a few for that matter) in your area and have a chat about what your requirements are for the car. Everyone on here will recommend the cam they have and the sizes will be all over the shop. Get a package put together for YOU and YOUR car by a performance shop and you won't look back.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
As above basically. So many different options for the VE it's all up to your preference and budget. What you mentioned will get you a weapon, and depending on cam and header size, you should meet or better your 330kw but you'll have a mountain more torque than your mitsu. A lot of it will be in the tune as the VEs are fairly restricted out of the box. I'd also recommend a suspension and brake package to go with the performance mods - You'll have a big muscle car that grips like a bastard!

However I would let it run in stock for a bit, just to let everything settle. The car changes a lot in the first month or so.

txhog

Reaction score
You're kidding right? A stock VE 6.0 aint no rocketship. They're sluggish and restricted to hell so a few simple mods make them so much better to drive and enjoy, especially on the street.

I only got mine a few weeks ago, but its SSV ute 6.0 but presume same as SS sedans 6.0 engine and I think its incredible, mostly it just sits on low Rpm when driving around and if you give it a little bit it goes insane. I like it a lot and never driven a car like it.

webby123

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss v
Thanks for the replys guys.

Yeh as stated i've driven a stock VE SS M6 and it was well slow compared to what ive been driving. My 8MR had alot of cash spent on it and although i don't want to go as crazy on the SS, i refuse to drive a stock vehicle, haha. Especially one that lets out a awesome growl when you let it rip !!

Obviously the different delivery in power makes a massive difference but im looking forward to a much more linear power curve as opposed to something that revs from 4500rpm to 9000rpm. So will those mods mentioned above make over 300rw kw ? How much torque would you achieve with those mods btw ?

I've also been looking into suspension and trying to make the rear wheels grip when the traction control is turned off. Without going bigger wider tyres or slicks is there perhaps an alternative that will help ? Maybe rear sway bar + softer springs ??

Cheers

PS: Anyone you'd recommend in Victoria or NSW for parts and fitment ??

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Morranos, CHE or SAS in Sydney. All great shops.

You'll find the torque will kick in basically from idle.. it's nuts how punchy they are. Totally different to a 4pot turbo.

As for the 300+kw figure, will depend on the size of the cam - talk to a performance shop about what you want and they'll sort you out.

With the amount of torque you'll have you'd need a miracle to get the backs to stick at launch no matter what suspension set up you get - run with a good coilover set up and fat sway bars front and rear - all adjustable so you can tune it how you want it and the car will corner like a cat on carpet.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I only got mine a few weeks ago, but its SSV ute 6.0 but presume same as SS sedans 6.0 engine and I think its incredible, mostly it just sits on low Rpm when driving around and if you give it a little bit it goes insane. I like it a lot and never driven a car like it.

Depends what you're coming from - for a stock car, and for the money, they're hard to beat but he's coming from a worked evo, so it will feel slow for him. Certainly a very torquey car out of the box and a bunch of fun - but easy to warm over too.

webby123

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss v
Hahaha yeh fair enough, may just have to leave the traction control on then while taking off :) . Does it still get you off the line relatively quickly ?

Yeh i've set myself a limit for mod spending so we shall see how we go with the coilovers. I'll definately get springs and sway bars for each end and she should see some decent improvements. I'm looking forward to actually driving a car with loads of torque as opposed to all out boost and power !!

TinSnips - i've heard of OZtrack tuning to, have they got a good rep opposed to the others you mentioned ??

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
ESP actually does a really good job, I find. Not a total fun killer (obviously have to turn it off to powerslide) but it lets you get a little tail happy. I find the launch ok with it on - and saves the tyres!

Don't know a lot about OZtrack - or EFI tuning for that matter - most people go with VCM suite tuners. Give them a call and find out what kind of results they're getting. You said you're getting a manual so no need to worry about auto shift points.

Budgets suck - still saving to upgrade mine! If the budget stretches to it, definitely go for coilovers - way better option for handling than just springs - or even springs and shocks (depending how low you go with the springs, you'll need shorter shocks). Plus, they're adjustable, so you can't go wrong.

You'll have a ball with it. They're more fun than a box of birds.