Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS right hand side front end knock

barryswanson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
barry, did you do the job? if you did did you put the top spring plate back in the same position it was in originaly?. they have to go a certain way or the spring plate can come into contact with the top of the strut body.

Thanks for that info Glenn. Yeah I did the job my self, I will check that out for sure.

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
I have had new sway bar bushes (D Bush), new strut top mounts and depending on how old your SSV is, it is possible it could do with the rubber type spring mat.

The earlier VE's didn't have this item and has since been introduced as a standard part. I got these put into mine and one of the clunks went away. Sway bar bush and strut top mounts fixed the others.

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
Thanks for that info Glenn. Yeah I did the job my self, I will check that out for sure.

barry, there is a little w shaped cut out in the top spring plate, it needs to point towards the engine.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
The urethane bushes are a fair bit firmer -but if you're just doing the sway bar D bushes, then you won't notice too much. It's more the control arm, strut tops, etc where you'll notice the change. They have significantly less play in them so everything is just tighter and more accurate - but also a little rougher on the road - so if you don't want to change the ride, stick with the OEM gear.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
the best thing about the genuine replacement D bushes is the price, $15 for the pair is a good place to start fixing the rattles
some say if you can grab hold of the front sway bar and move it side to side the bushes need replacing. mine could slide close to 10mm and made a heap of rattles before i changed them out.
The new bushes hold the bar tight, so it won't slide... or shake, and no more noise !!

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Correct.

msg too short my ass stupid forum

OLI170

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSVR S2 UTE
So Barry .. Mate i Guess you sorted Problem.. what did it end up being..??
I have same problem, replaced both strut tops, and also new Monroe gt sport Shocks, with kings ssl's and have a bad clank when hitting speed humps,
only on front right.. also have a little noise from steering shaft maybe.. like a knock knock from the joint maybe?
any help greatly appreciated.. ;)

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
So Barry .. Mate i Guess you sorted Problem.. what did it end up being..??
I have same problem, replaced both strut tops, and also new Monroe gt sport Shocks, with kings ssl's and have a bad clank when hitting speed humps,
only on front right.. also have a little noise from steering shaft maybe.. like a knock knock from the joint maybe?
any help greatly appreciated.. ;)
Have you checked other things like tie rod ends, castor arms (Bushing and ball joint) and control arms (Bushing and ball joint), sway links, sway bar D bushings and even engine mounts.

Do you have rubber bushings or poly bushings?

OLI170

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSVR S2 UTE
Hi Syked,
only bought the car.. ssv redline 2012. 3 weeks ago.. finding alot of issues.. whole front was shot.. tops were chewd out.. had original shocks with ssl kings.. after changing to shorter gt sports.. it lifted the front like 30mm.. the car has really been neglected.. she sits and rides nice and tight now.. I think theres a mix of of both.. lower control has orange brown bushes.. everything looks and felt solid.. though when strut was out there was alot of lateral movement in said bush.. put new sway bar links.. will change the d's next.. this is the first ve i have owned so need to learn about about her..
thanks for your advise..