Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS right hand side front end knock

OLI170

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSVR S2 UTE
oh.. it's a ute to and has staggered 20's ...
when i first got the car they had the 10in rear on the front right.. so i think it has cause the issue maybe..

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
How many kms has it done?

OLI170

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSVR S2 UTE
only 105k
just been back under her moving the wheel around the shudder i found was the new strut top was slipping on top.. it was tight all the way i thought.. so removed everything and re did.. now seems better.. still need to drive to check.
the old shocks and tops.. wore the top hole a little.. not sure if that would affect the new ones..?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
only 105k
just been back under her moving the wheel around the shudder i found was the new strut top was slipping on top.. it was tight all the way i thought.. so removed everything and re did.. now seems better.. still need to drive to check.
the old shocks and tops.. wore the top hole a little.. not sure if that would affect the new ones..?

Which strut tops did you use?

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Let us know how you after to refitted the strut tops.

Sometimes the poly bushings should be re-lubed as well.

OLI170

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSVR S2 UTE
syked .. i did not lube the top mounts at all.. they are rubber with new bearings.. are they supposed to be greased up ?
i did find some grease left from old ones in the top of wheel arch.. and cleaned it out..?

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
No they don't need to be lubed.

Sorry I referring to the control arm / castor arm bushings

OLI170

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSVR S2 UTE
Thnx Syked
I took off wheel and checked the strut again.. it had a slight movement in the spring, as i tightened the top nut with impact gun.. it seamed tight.. i think i threaded the nut slightly, was hard to remove.. removed and put on old nut tightened by hand with shifter.. as tight as possible.. now all seems good.. the noise from steering was actually the top mount slipping, not on bearing.. all good now.. :)
Oh Also was missing the rubber around the coils at the top.. thinking they might compress metal to metal on big impact.. i taped them up.. until i find a replacement.

Reactions: Lex

OLI170

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSVR S2 UTE
Hi Syked.. mate it seems the strut tops are starting to slip again.. can hear it in steering again.. are they not supposed to be fully tightend down.. it's like the bearing is not doing it's job.. maybe i have them too tight.. any advice.. please.. the nuts are not coming loose..
Monroe gt sports with king ssl's and Kelpro strut mounts.. cheers.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Hi Syked.. mate it seems the strut tops are starting to slip again.. can hear it in steering again.. are they not supposed to be fully tightend down.. it's like the bearing is not doing it's job.. maybe i have them too tight.. any advice.. please.. the nuts are not coming loose..
Monroe gt sports with king ssl's and Kelpro strut mounts.. cheers.

This video may help to double check you have connected everything right, or if you are missing something