Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Suspension upgrade Spring/Shock vs Coilovers

davecdp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi All, my VE SS now has 220k and the original suspension and its feeling tired. I want to lower to SSL height all round but i can't decide between a Spring/Shock vs Coilovers option.

I've been going over the pros and cons of each and i would like some some peoples experience from coilovers in a VE.

I like that Coilovers are fully adjustable for fine tuning ride height and dampening but i'm afraid of the harsh ride. I have coilovers in one of my other cars and the ride is to harsh for a daily but the handling is perfect.

Is there anyone in ACT by any chance that has coilovers in their VE that could take me for a spin?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The problem with both is that most companies will sell you a one size fits all setup (there are lots of brands that will sell you the hardest setup possible by default), there's every possibility you will buy shocks and King Springs and the ride will still be garbage depending on a few other things like wheel size. Don't just look at it as coilovers or springs, you need to look at the details of each setup like spring rates, wheel/tyre sizes, stretch, heights etc... Brand/build quality will also come into play as to how well they dampen.

Look at MCA Suspension in Brisbane, they make a set for VE/VF with spring rates and valving to suit whatever you want, even comfort. You will be looking at 1.5k to 2k from them, but even at those prices they're really good value for what they are. They run the Hammerhead at WTAC so their R&D is top notch. I personally know a lot of people that run these in (including Commodores) both for road and motorsport and they're all streets ahead in terms of build and ride quality.

Would also be having a look at your bushes too at that age.

What's your other car? Do you know much about what's in it?

davecdp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
MCA's sound good, i think a call to them would be a good start and I agree that suspension components need to be setup properly to suit the vehicle to work. I'm running VF SS 19inch wheels with the standard size tyres etc.

I have a mate who just installed KYB shocks with King springs in his SS Ute, ride is very good and if i could get a similar ride with coilovers i would be happy, i just want the height adjustability.

Yes I was planning on installing a superpro bush kit all round.

I have a GD WRX with Bilstein B16's which are supposed to be suited to street use. When I installed them i set them up on the soft settings but they were still to hard and this has put me off coilovers for street use. Maybe its because the WRX is a very light car and the commodore being heavier might just ride better with coilovers. The WRX is a track car now so it doesn't matter, the B16 are a great quality coilover and i'm very happy with them.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Maybe its because the WRX is a very light car and the commodore being heavier might just ride better with coilovers.

All about the spring rates. You can put 50kg springs in a Commodore turn it into a super stiff back breaker, likewise you can put 2kg springs in a WRX and have be a total wallowy boat that bottoms out all the time. I know somebody that runs MCAs in a VA Imprezza which looks to be close to the GD in terms of weight and he reckons they're amazing, no idea what specs he picked though.

AFAIK, MCA are super helpful so should help you make a good decision.

Last edited: