Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve ss temp guage not working

livinastro

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss ex cop
Hi just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with there ve ss. The temp guage just stop working today, went into engineering mode and tested dails which are all working fine, coolant temp read 0 degrees but. Aircon seems to have stopped working to.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
Sounds like you've got a problem with a module locking up the CAN BUS line, need to have the trouble codes checked and work out which ones giving you trouble

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

livinastro

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss ex cop
Not to sure what CAN BUS line is, does that just mean they change the codes in computer at holden dealer?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
The Can bus is the data network that all the modules in the car use to communicate. In VE's theres a low speed network for comfort items such as HVAC, Radio etc and a high speed network for engine/ABS/ESP etc.

It may simply be a failed temp sensor. Ill check out the schematic and get back to you.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
The IPC displays the engine coolant temperature as determined by the engine control module (ECM). The IPC receives a GMLAN message from the ECM indicating the engine coolant temperature. The IPC engine coolant temperature gauge only displays coolant temperatures greater than 60°C. The engine coolant temperature gauge defaults to 60°C or below if:

• The ECM detects a malfunction in the engine coolant temperature sensor circuit.
• The IPC detects a loss of GMLAN communications with the ECM.
• The body control module (BCM) detects a loss of GMLAN communications with the ECM.

Basically the sensor itself may have failed, or as said above a loss of comms. Need to check DTCs with a scan tool.

livinastro

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss ex cop
Thanks heaps for the info not under warranty so hope holden doesnt screw me to hard on the fix!

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Any workshop with a scan tool can read the codes.

livinastro

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss ex cop
Thanks again will post results when i get it fixed :beer chug:

livinastro

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss ex cop
Well i just had to move my car to let someone out the driveway and the problem seems to have vanished, aircon back to freezing cold and temp guage back to normal service warning gone from dash to.?.?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais International
Hi there,

Had the same thing happen to my Calais this morning. Have checked all fuses and relays and all seem fine. Im hoping that mine will start in the morning and the problem will be gone.