Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve ss temp guage not working

zinn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac GTO & Chevy Lumina SS
'07 Lumina SS (in Bahrain)...I've been having the same problem off and on for the past couple of weeks. The "Contact Dealer" message displays, then my A/C and temp guage stop working. After driving for a while and (sometimes) after sitting over night it goes away and everything is fine. Had it in the dealer last week and, of course, it wasn't malfunctioning and they didn't know what I was talking about.

chriso78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
I had the same problem with my 2008 VE ssv ute. At first it came up with contact dealer and service which went away a couple of times but then came back all the time with a check engine light. I bought a coolant temp sensor off eBay for $36 and fitted it. Took 10 mins and problem hasn't come back for over a week now. I disconnected the battery while I did it to reset the codes. I did try disconnecting the battery before hand but the problem came back straight away.

JohnnyNa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS
Hi,
Having the same problem as you all.
Codes are throwing out a faulty temp sensor so had it replaced at a mechanic and it still has not fixed the problem. Had an auto electrician look at it and $200 later he was useless. Can anyone please help me out with this issue, its driving me nuts as i can't even pay to get it fixed.
Thank you

h8tensv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 2002 VX 1989 VN 5 Litre
Holden only charge $120 to plug their Tech2 scanner in and find the problem. Nothing against auto electricians but they are kind of useless when it comes to this type of problem. Been there and done that before.

JohnnyNa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS
Yea he had no idea, do you think Holdens scanner would be different to the standard mechanic/auto elec scanner?
Thanks mate

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Holden only charge $120 to plug their Tech2 scanner in and find the problem. Nothing against auto electricians but they are kind of useless when it comes to this type of problem. Been there and done that before.

I have to agree. Unless you know a Auto electrician for cheap. Its better to go Holden or a Mechanic with a scan tool that has a bit of knowledge with Holden's.

h8tensv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 2002 VX 1989 VN 5 Litre
It's not the fact that they have different scan tools or not, it's the fact that Holden have seen every possible problem with these cars and know what the problem is 99% of the time and have the know how to repair it. Don't get me wrong here, I am not a fan of Holden dealers as they over charge for most of their work but unless you know an ex Holden mechanic somewhere else, you are limited to where you can go. I have had problems in the past with other holders and spent weeks dicking around with small workshops and paying a fortune and in the end I still had to take it to Holden because the other mechanic could not fix it. So now unless it's a simple job like oil change or brake pads my car goes to Holden.

JohnnyNa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS
Hi everyone, problem was solved.. ending up being the thermostat.
Scan tools couldnt pin point it so i went with my gut feeling and changed the thermo so far so good.
Thanks for everyones advice.