Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS UTE 30,000kms ECU GONE!!!!

simoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SS Ute
hello there..

does anyone else think that its a bit ridiculous that my 2011 ss ute which has only done 30,000kms and been serviced all the time needs a new ecu already , and also before this problem at 27,000kms cyl 7 lifter was no good which required them to pull the whole engine apart to fix..

They are telling me that i need to buy a new ecu which will cost me around $1300 to be replaced..

has anyone else had a similar problem ?

thanks for your help

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
hello there..

does anyone else think that its a bit ridiculous that my 2011 ss ute which has only done 30,000kms and been serviced all the time needs a new ecu already , and also before this problem at 27,000kms cyl 7 lifter was no good which required them to pull the whole engine apart to fix..

They are telling me that i need to buy a new ecu which will cost me around $1300 to be replaced..

has anyone else had a similar problem ?

thanks for your help

That sucks big time, but with regards the ECU, perfect service history isn't going to make any difference. Hope they at least have the fault diagnosed correctly, and the problem gets fixed.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
What exact problem have you got for them to be telling you that your ECU is cooked?

Go and get a second opinion before forking out your hard earned.

simoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SS Ute
well i was driving one day and traction control flickered on and off by itself then the engine light came on and i couldn't take off at normal speed was very slow acceleration until i hit about 60..

that only happened once but now the engine light is on all the time and i took it in today and he said that the ecu will need to be replaced , but he said he will try and get something worked out , i also rang holden customer service number and filed a case about it because the car is pretty much brand new and for a computer to just fail already is a load a poop..

the dealer said that ecu computers are like car batteries they can just stop working at anytime and need to be replaced which i think is a load of bull

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
~ get a second opinion ~

Agreed, "yeah it's the computer mate" is the catch-all of fault diagnosis... can't find anything else wrong, let's replace the ECU

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
the dealer said that ecu computers are like car batteries they can just stop working at anytime and need to be replaced

wow, all us VE drivers are on borrowed time as batteries have a 5 year life. I think I would be approaching Holden direct as the old saying goes " don't talk to the dog talk to the master"

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
I would start with changing the battery if it's not been done already. A lot of threads have reported similar messages just because of a bad battery (basically, the ECU doesn't get enough voltage and can't work properly).

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
if that is indeed the fault surely a statutory warranty claim would be in order?

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
well i was driving one day and traction control flickered on and off by itself then the engine light came on and i couldn't take off at normal speed was very slow acceleration until i hit about 60..

that only happened once but now the engine light is on all the time and i took it in today and he said that the ecu will need to be replaced , but he said he will try and get something worked out , i also rang holden customer service number and filed a case about it because the car is pretty much brand new and for a computer to just fail already is a load a poop..

the dealer said that ecu computers are like car batteries they can just stop working at anytime and need to be replaced which i think is a load of bull

Did they read the codes with the Tech2?
If so what codes are you getting?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Did they read the codes with the Tech2?
If so what codes are you getting?

Probably said, "Stuffed if we know start replacing everything at random."