Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Ute AFM not dropping Cylinders?

FPFQ_king

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Calais V
Can you bring it to Sunbury?
I have a Tech II, we can scan it and find out if its been messed with, or it might be something simple.
Bravo elmo, that’s the positive spirit I am talking about! :)

Danc91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder
Can you bring it to Sunbury?
I have a Tech II, we can scan it and find out if its been messed with, or it might be something simple.
Sunbury is probably 40 minutes or more from where I am I think, I know I wouldn't wanna pay $500 to turn it back on if that's what holden charge, sounds like it's allbdoke through a computer and shouldn't be that hard? Dunno why anyone would of spent money to turn it off either on something stock

FPFQ_king

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Calais V
Sunbury is probably 40 minutes or more from where I am I think, I know I wouldn't wanna pay $500 to turn it back on if that's what holden charge, sounds like it's allbdoke through a computer and shouldn't be that hard? Dunno why anyone would of spent money to turn it off either on something stock
usually a telltale that vehicle has been returned to stock after being modified.
free checkup with elmo is worth the drive

Danc91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder
usually a telltale that vehicle has been returned to stock after being modified.
free checkup with elmo is worth the drive
Going by the service books I think the first owner was from the country and hasn't even done 100,000 kms yet but guess it's possible he modified it in some way and had to change it back to sell it, who knows. Would it be worth while turning it back on? I would be happy to if it's an easy fix. In other forums I see people only say it's saves about 1L per 100kms so it's not massive or anything just would of been nice to buy it how it's meant to work

FPFQ_king

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Calais V
Going by the service books I think the first owner was from the country and hasn't even done 100,000 kms yet but guess it's possible he modified it in some way and had to change it back to sell it, who knows. Would it be worth while turning it back on? I would be happy to if it's an easy fix. In other forums I see people only say it's saves about 1L per 100kms so it's not massive or anything just would of been nice to buy it how it's meant to work
Is AFM worth $500 depends on where and how you drive. Highway gonna save 10%-20% even more if you know how to utlise it.
Thats between a year or two stright up ROI on Highway, longer if combined or urban.
The other thing to consider although nobody here mentions it is the carbon emissions level drops pro rata with reduced fuel consumption.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I have a L77 with AFM, I love it, as I travel on the highways a bit, hit the cruise control, and the car does the rest,
keeps a smooth constant speed,
With mine, I can feel a very slight/light vibration in the car with it drops to 4Cyl Mode,
get used to it, It does make it more economical.
There is one main thing that you have to take into consideration,
How are you going to drive it !
You drive it hard, it wont save you anything. :cool:
The VE nice to drive tho. :D

Danc91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder
I have a L77 with AFM, I love it, as I travel on the highways a bit, hit the cruise control, and the car does the rest,
keeps a smooth constant speed,
With mine, I can feel a very slight/light vibration in the car with it drops to 4Cyl Mode,
get used to it, It does make it more economical.
There is one main thing that you have to take into consideration,
How are you going to drive it !
You drive it hard, it wont save you anything. :cool:
The VE nice to drive tho. :D
Thanks for the info, I'll mainly just drive it to work where the speed limit is 100 most of the way, I'm tying not to drive it too hard and look after it, I give it a bit every now and then but drive sensible mainly. Unsure if I'll modify it at all probably no time soon so guess it may be a good idea to try get it back on might save a few litres through the week just sucks that it's not on when I bought the car, only had it for 5 days. Seems jerky/jumpy when i put my foot down giving it a bit of power unsure if that's normal for an auto v8 but will probably get a good service done and see if it's smoother

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The L76 also has AFM
I think the whole range went L77 in 2010, before that its was L76 in auto's and L98 in the manuals.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

It could be something really simple, like a loose plug on the valley to the DOD solenoids.
If you have the time, I wont charge you anything. You have an unusual problem, it would be nice to fix it and add to the knowledge base.