Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Ute AFM not dropping Cylinders?

Danc91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder
Hi all, i've just recently bought myself a VE SS Thunder ute with AFM and i drive on the highway to work every morning for about half an hour and not once have i seen the cluster change from 8 Cyl mode to 4 Cyl mode with cruise set to 100-110.
Wouldn't think the previous owner would of had it turned off as it all seems completely stock. Any ideas or should i be worried at all? i read alot of people choose to turn them off when they start modifying/tuning but at the moment i wont be worrying about any of that and if i can get better fuel economy driving to work ill take it, thanks.

FPFQ_king

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Calais V
Hi all, i've just recently bought myself a VE SS Thunder ute with AFM and i drive on the highway to work every morning for about half an hour and not once have i seen the cluster change from 8 Cyl mode to 4 Cyl mode with cruise set to 100-110.
Wouldn't think the previous owner would of had it turned off as it all seems completely stock. Any ideas or should i be worried at all? i read alot of people choose to turn them off when they start modifying/tuning but at the moment i wont be worrying about any of that and if i can get better fuel economy driving to work ill take it, thanks.
yes if is an auto seems disabled. find out who tehy went through and only a token gesture of few bucks to turn it back on.

Danc91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder
I bought if off an older retired guy who only had it for about 12 months so im guessing if it was disabled it was the first owner before him, would have no idea how to find out who disabled it now being the 3rd owner and yes its an Auto. can i take it to anyone else and they could easily turn it back on or is it just better left off as i see alot of people don't like it although i don't plan on big performance upgrades and exhausts atm so best i have it on for better fuel? no idea why it would of been turned off on a stock ute. thanks

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE

I had series 2 ve ss sedan and it never came up on the dashboard that it changed from 8 to 4 cylinders but on the highway with cruise set to 102 or 103 every now and then the exhaust note would change. I read somewhere (on here i think) that change of sound is the the cylinders shutting down then re activating again. I bought that car second hand and I'm pretty sure previous owner only put a catback on it and no AFM delete as there wasn't even an OTR. Maybe you can turn off the cylinder change dashboard notification in engineering mode?

Danc91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder
I had series 2 ve ss sedan and it never came up on the dashboard that it changed from 8 to 4 cylinders but on the highway with cruise set to 102 or 103 every now and then the exhaust note would change. I read somewhere (on here i think) that change of sound is the the cylinders shutting down then re activating again. I bought that car second hand and I'm pretty sure previous owner only put a catback on it and no AFM delete as there wasn't even an OTR. Maybe you can turn off the cylinder change dashboard notification in engineering mode?
Yeah wouldn't have a clue about engineering mode and this ute being very quiet to drive i wouldn't notice a change of sound if it was working but just not showing on the cluster that it is, only had a V6 VX before this so its all new to me, would be nice to know its all working how it should be though

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
not once have i seen the cluster change from 8 Cyl mode to 4 Cyl mode

Serious question - does the 4cyl light on the dash come on when ignition is in the 'on' mode? Just thinking outside the box re a blown globe perhaps..

Danc91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder
Serious question - does the 4cyl light on the dash come on when ignition is in the 'on' mode? Just thinking outside the box re a blown globe perhaps..
Nah i haven't seen anything other than 8 Cylinder Mode on the screen, would think it should only say 4 cyl when driving with cruise control at 100km+ though?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Yeah wouldn't have a clue about engineering mode and this ute being very quiet to drive i wouldn't notice a change of sound if it was working but just not showing on the cluster that it is, only had a V6 VX before this so its all new to me, would be nice to know its all working how it should be though
Even though they're quiet, you'll hear the note change when it happens, especially on an undulating section of freeway.
What year is it, and is it an L76 or L77?

Danc91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder
Even though they're quiet, you'll hear the note change when it happens, especially on an undulating section of freeway.
What year is it, and is it an L76 or L77?
2011 Series 2, build date was april i think if that helps, unsure if its L76 or L77

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
would think it should only say 4 cyl when driving with cruise control at 100km+ though?

What I mean is, all the lights (including the 4cyl one) should come on when ignition is 'on' (not when the car is started), this shows that the lights are physically working. If the 4cyl one doesn't illuminate, there could be an issue with the globe perhaps.

Edit - sorry just realised that it appears on the screen, not a light on the dash itself.