Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ss ute audio upgrade

vessbronco1

Reaction score
Members Ride
atomic green ve ss
Looking at upgrading my audio set up, currently only changed out the front speakers with some pioneer ones,

thinking along the lines of a quality amp, shallow 12'' sub with a shallow box mounted between the seats ( is this a good place to mount one) and cutting in 2 rear speakers in the parcel wall above the rear lights behind the head rest

any ideas would be appreaciated as im not to up to date with the whole audio upgrade gig

cheers :)

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
What do u mean put a sub between the seats? You mean behind them?
You can fit a full size box behind the seats no worries, had a 12" behind the drivers seat in my last VE Ute. Fitted nice and snug so i didn't have to bolt it down or anything and i could pull it out whenever i wanted.

I couldn't think of anything worse than having speakers right behind the head rests, it would drill your ears.

Not too sure about the brands, i had a full Alpine Type R for my old Sedan. I got different alpine amps though, bit better than the Type R ones. It was fantastic and the two 12"s in the boot went off. If you want a good brand, i'd recommend them anyday but the system was worth close to 5k, that was with a screen and stuff though so it wouldn't be that bad for a ute.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Focals go nuts in the VEs - suit them VERY well. But ANYTHING is an improvement over stock. I'm assuming that by between the seats, you mean in that niche behind the console? If so, that would be fine - Even better if you can knock up a custom box to mould in around the rear of the console to save fixing it in - would look tight too! I've heard of people cutting into the rear panel and fitting 6x9s and running it out of the rear channels (need to have them activated by a Tech2 from memory) but that would be overkill for me. Also, don't overlook fitting dynamat all through the doors - makes a massive difference.

Great choice in colour, mate! Full marks!

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
wouldn't wanna chuck the sub behind the center console then you'd lose that awesome SS badge ;) haha.
you'd have a sub sitting under your left arm though, stuff that. definitely need it behind or under you i reckon so you can feel it.

Great choice in colour, mate! Full marks!
>> whats this for Tinsnips?

I reckon a sweet set up in the VE would be a 12" behind each seat + new moulds in the doors so u could fit two 6" in each one :thumbsup: not sure how easy it is to get custom moulded doors in the VE right though.

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
Oh I had a look at his profile but couldn't see, I can see the description now.
I like the green :)

vessbronco1

Reaction score
Members Ride
atomic green ve ss
Thanks for the suggestion guys, 2 x 12'' shallows would sound pretty good with just the fronts, any ideas on some good brands ive had pioneer headunits and speakers before and there pretty good.

What power should i be looking at with the subs and the amps, dont wanna be screwed at the checkout by **** thats expensive and more powerful then id ever need

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
Thanks for the suggestion guys, 2 x 12'' shallows would sound pretty good with just the fronts, any ideas on some good brands ive had pioneer headunits and speakers before and there pretty good.

What power should i be looking at with the subs and the amps, dont wanna be screwed at the checkout by **** thats expensive and more powerful then id ever need

yea man, i'd just change the fronts and chuck some subs in. thats probably all i'll do.
dunno how a sub would go behind the passenger seat though, cos of the battery compartment?

As for the brands, I've had JL audio and Alpine. alpine dicked all over JL audio for volume levels, both pretty clear though.

my house mate has 2 shallow pioneer 12's in his ute, they are pretty damn good. they weren't that expensive either i don't think and they came in the boxes.

vessbronco1

Reaction score
Members Ride
atomic green ve ss
Well ive just brought Polk Audio splits for the front, kicker 750i 4 channel, 2 channel to run the splits and going to get either 2 x 12'' sony explod 1000w or 2 x 10'' 800w Kickers installed for about $2k from WoW sight and sound Darwin