Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS ute on LPG?

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by SLAF, Apr 9, 2008.

1. SLAF

SLAF New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV UTE
    This may be elsewhere, but has there been a good LPG system for the 6 litre motor developed yet?

2. nicko

nicko Carbon Positive - DO IT!!

Members Ride:
    75 cruiser ute
    :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

3. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
    Can I ask....

Why the **** would you buy a new VE SS 6L V8 then want to put it on gas?

Perhaps a Mazda2 would have been a more suitable purchase for you mate.

4. poweredbycng

poweredbycng New Member

Why not?

LPG is a high octane (higher than 98RON PULP), significantly cheaper, and with a good LPG system, burns cleaner while making the same amount of power and torque as the same engine running on petrol.

Look for a good Sequential Vapour Injection kit such as OMVL/Sprintgas, Tartarini, or Eurogas and ask the fitter for the largest regulator (converter) and injectors for the chosen system to ensure that the system is capable of delivering enough fuel to the engine even at WOT.

Regards,
    Dave

5. CSP

CSP Banned

Members Ride:
    my car
    Tell me something, what does LPG stand for?

Good luck with it being cheaper than fuel for much longer... And once fuel runs out, guess what, no more LPG.

FYI - It's LIQUID PETROLIUM GAS - a bi-product of manufacturing fuel.

When you run dedicated gas (not dual fuel) you get BETTER performance from HIGHER octane levels than fuel. It's just not very popular to do.

6. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
    Liquefied Petroleum Gas :whistling

You will never re-coup the cost of getting the gas kit put on, not at current gas prices and the gas rebate is facing the axe as well. Also, don't forget the LPG government excise coming in... 12c per litre I think it is which will be added onto the current LPG prices. It is significantly cheaper but it significantly reduces your mileage also. Gas needs to be LESS than half the price of fuel to be worth it, which it is really struggling to be at the moment and will never be once the gas excise comes in.

7. greenfoam

greenfoam New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive R-spec
    I just came here to see how many lpg haters had posted :). Just a few. I'll use the 5 litre as an example. On a 5 litre you make about a 40 percent saving on real world fuel costs when on lpg. If your spending say 60 bucks a week and most 5 litre owners will be doing more than that. It will take 41 weeks to get your 1000 bucks back for the lpg conversion after that its profit. Not to mention the bottom end of the engine has a good chance of going a million ks on lpg which it will never get close to on petrol due to bore washing

8. poweredbycng

poweredbycng New Member

Yup, gotta love the LPG haters and those who can't crunch numbers. They're they ones who miss out on the huge savings LPG has to offer!

With an SVI system, you pay $4000-$5000 to get it installed, get your $2000 rebate (and an extra $1000 if you live in WA) and you will only use slightly more gas than you would petrol (approx. 10-15% more). With LPG prices hanging around the 65c mark and the absolute cheapest petrol being around $1.33, the savings come fast.

The LPG excise will be applied from 2011 onwards. In 2011, the excise will start at 2.5cpl, increasing by 2.5cpl yearly until the capped 12.5cpl is reached in 2015, so there is still plenty of time to save, and I can't see petrol prices dropping either.

FWIW, it would take the average motorist (20,000km per annum) well under two years to recoup the cost of an SVI conversion minus the rebate, even when petrol usage and servicing costs are factored in.

Regards,
    Dave

9. CSP

CSP Banned

Members Ride:
    my car
    Show me ANYWHERE you can get a gas conversion done for less than $2000.

The AVERAGE person would be lucky to do 15,000km a year, not 20,000km.

LPG has been above 70 cents a litre for a LONG time.

As LPG is a bi-product of the fuel refining process, the cost will continue to go up.

Bore washing? LOL!!! You're still living in the 20th century!!!

LPG isn't as good as it seems, ever!

And besides, I don't care. Bring on $2 and $3 a litre fuel I say. Get all dero's and their **** boxes off the road! Price of fuel doesn't affect me :D

10. Libran

Libran New Member

Members Ride:
    vt commodore
    well i live 20 km out of town myself and do a ****load of kms i have a vt v6 and had a sequential multi point gas injection (vapor) put into my car now km per km i used to get about 450 km out of a tank of fuel (as the km's in transit were in slow traffic) now id pay fuel at say $1.50ltr so a tank of 75 ltrs would cost me say $112 with gas the tank holds 70ltrs usable at (and someone said you cant get gas under 70cents per litre) and at 68cents per ltr of not just gas propane not automix gas it costs me $47.60 now you work that out in dollars per km ratio 1km in fuel costs me 25 cents as apposed to gas which costs me 12 cents per km.
    now the system cost me $3900 to install brand new and i got $2000 back so i think the conversion would be worth it and the gentalment who installed the system told me they are close to bringing out a liquid not vapor injection system which would produce more power out of your engine that fuel ever would unless you wanted to run methanol mix but with out the over all risks of mixed fuels now i can hear the skeptics now saying he's full of it well feel free to do your home work i buy my gas at a place in bendigo victoria call bendigo cylinder testing it is not automix its propane and the man who installed my system and told me about the future system his name is john he runs a mobil injection cleaning service and has a base of operatins where he does macanics he can be contacted on (03)54444284 so please feel free to shoot holes in my story if you were seriously looking at gas i would do the homework a gas system lasts 10 yrs before you need a tank retest so thats a lot of time to make back your first investment

11. Libran

Libran New Member

Members Ride:
    vt commodore
    o yes sorry i forgot to mention the L.P.G. system i have is running a reprogramable computer which has a lot of types of programs for the gas system the one running in mine gives me the same power that i get from petrol you would not know the difference and i have a performance memcal in the car to which i not long put in and the gas loves that too, as far as power goes you wouldn't know if you were running on petrol or gas unless you looked at the petrol/gas light

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  12. commsirac

commsirac Banned

Members Ride:
    vx
    Well, it would have been possible before the rebate scheme kicked in, for older cars that just needed a tank, mixer and convertor.......but that's supply and demand for you. Im guessing they wont be selling too many svi sytems at $4500 once the rebate is taken away!

Well, I havent seen it for that much in Melbourne......yet

You might want to do some research.....just go to google. Australia's crude oil deposits consist of vast amounts of naturally occuring lpg(well, the material that is found in lpg).....hence the governments push to try and use more of it.

Engines still have bores dont they......every done an oil change on a car that just runs lpg.......it just doesnt go dirty......because?
    Now you are talking sense, perhaps our goals are different though.....I want to see less CO2, you just want to get from A to B faster?

13. Libran

Libran New Member

Members Ride:
    vt commodore
    thats a very good point to L.P.G. "IS" a cleaner burning fuel

14. johnvtls1

johnvtls1 New Member

Members Ride:
    E92 BWM 335I
  15. commsirac

commsirac Banned

Members Ride:
    vx
    Yes, lpg is a cleaner burning fuel, but the reduction in CO2 emissions are not that large.

Using say this as an example:
    Ford BF MK II Falcon XT LPG 4.0L 6cyl , Auto 4 speed Sedan, 5 seats , 2WD 2006
    244 gm/km CO2 emissions

Ford BF MK II Falcon XT Petrol 91RON 4.0L 6cyl , Auto 4 speed Sedan, 5 seats , 2WD 2006
    255 gm/km CO2 emissions

The reductions here would be minimal, the lpg industry itself claims 15%, but from a stoichiometric point of view based on the fuel's energy the figure is ~10%.

If lpg was more expensive, then it would be a good choice for the reduction of emissions. However, pricing at the moment doesnt encourage selective use.....it actually increases the CO2 problem because it is cheaper to burn.

16. adamc11

adamc11 Donating Member

Members Ride:
    2013 VE SS V Z M6
    haha.. it amazes me, why people buy performance cars then LPG them to save on running costs. If you want to buy a v8, you should be able to afford to run it. If you can't, get a v6!

17. poweredbycng

poweredbycng New Member

And we have another non-believer. There are countless examples out there of cars that actually make more power on injected LPG than they do on petrol, and that's BEFORE modifications.

Regards,
    Dave

18. CSP

CSP Banned

Members Ride:
    my car
    Show me one...

19. FPV 4 T

FPV 4 T myspace.com/attakarrak

Members Ride:
    2008 VE HSV Clubsport R8.
    LOL where you live that may be the case haha but where I live in WA LPG is $114.9 and 91 Octane is $186.9!!! its ****ed! not to mention I have to use at least 95 or 98 Octaine for my Clubby and that is even more expensive. last week diesel was over $213.4 a liter!

20. Libran

Libran New Member

Members Ride:
    vt commodore
    well i thought any CO2 reduction was a good reduction, and im sorry the last section i just dont understand what your saying if lpg was more expensive then it would be a good choice for the reduction of emissions???? and as it reads cheaper price actualy increase CO2 problems??? sorry but can you explain how