Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS ute on LPG?

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
Cuz you can't make full use of your V8? You can't make use of the full 307rwkw which is as fulla crap as the arguments used?

I need enlightening.

i agree with you there i used to own a worked v8 years ago before i had kids and bills etc that wasn't my point what was said was that converting to L.P.G. is a pointless waist of money if you set a decent system up its worth doing indeed and you have no loss of power "IF ITS A DECENT SYSTEM" now your either a L.P.G. lover or not thats not what im debating hear im not trying to show it down anyones throat but the L.P.G. haters are trying to turn people the other way without knowing the full benifites of it

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
307rwkw is what I will have post cam/valve spring change in a coouple of months. Along with my OTRCAI and full exhaust.

It cannot make the same power on LPG. Tuners laugh at such a misguided thought.

I use 100% of my V8 engine every time I drive it. I like to feel the torque off the line. I spend $120 a week on fuel. That is FAR FROM HUGE!!!

I'm done with this pointless, ignorant argument. When you have something smart to say, I'll be happy to come back to this thread.

you obviously love your petrol so you obviously dont look into the newer gas systems nothing i can say will change that but i do sugest you talk to someone to keep up to date with L.P.G. Especially the next generation that is set to come out soon the liquid injection as when this hits the street you would produce more power than you do know if you think im stupid go see a good fitter (gas fitter) not a fly by night (not talking about the tuners) and ask them then come back with the personal insults o and just for curiosity when was the last time your fitters tryed the injection systems on there cars?? most people forget gas is advancing to and i will agree on one thing this thread is a pointless argument good bye

Last edited:

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
307rwkw is what I will have post cam/valve spring change in a coouple of months. Along with my OTRCAI and full exhaust.

It cannot make the same power on LPG. Tuners laugh at such a misguided thought.

I use 100% of my V8 engine every time I drive it. I like to feel the torque off the line. I spend $120 a week on fuel. That is FAR FROM HUGE!!!

I'm done with this pointless, ignorant argument. When you have something smart to say, I'll be happy to come back to this thread.

You fail to see the point COMPLETELY. I don't know what you're arguing against.

A stock V8 has more than enough power and torque for day to day driving and an injected Gas setup doesn't affect that at all.

For a daily that is used to commute, highways and towing the occasional trailer, a V8 on gas is perfect. I didn't say it was perfect for the person doing serious engine mods, although a straight gas setup would definitely be getting there.

If you drive your car within speed and road limits, you don't need a cam/springs and the only difference you would notice is that instead of $120 a week (which is huge), you would be spending closer to $50.

Yeah that's right. No difference in day to day driving (due to it being a direct injection kit), simply a 50% plus saving on the bottom line.

How does it not make perfect sense?

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
You fail to see the point COMPLETELY. I don't know what you're arguing against.

A stock V8 has more than enough power and torque for day to day driving and an injected Gas setup doesn't affect that at all.

For a daily that is used to commute, highways and towing the occasional trailer, a V8 on gas is perfect. I didn't say it was perfect for the person doing serious engine mods, although a straight gas setup would definitely be getting there.

If you drive your car within speed and road limits, you don't need a cam/springs and the only difference you would notice is that instead of $120 a week (which is huge), you would be spending closer to $50.

Yeah that's right. No difference in day to day driving (due to it being a direct injection kit), simply a 50% plus saving on the bottom line.

How does it not make perfect sense?

This is the last responce im posting as im tired of others talking without looking further into it they are comenting on what used to be the truth note the present day and technology not to mention tomorrows technology, your responce ""i could not agree with more"" but the ones like slow poke who work there motor even if it was fully worked as far as he could go with it the next system (gas) not for away the liquid injection is aimed directly at his market as (like a stuck record) will give him more power than he has now from what my gas fitter tells me its going threw the throws of getting its australian standards tag so when the government gives that it should be all go

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
^^ Of course your gas fitter is gonna say that - it's in his best interests to do so. You don't think he may be just a little biased?

I'll believe it when I see it...

Last edited:

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
HMM playing dumb or not emissions are also relevant to the mix that the producers of the L.P.G. make to break it down there is a lot more in the gas but putting it simply the AUTO MIX is basically a propane and butane mix the butane is the crap that lowers the octane rating of gas and produces the most bad emissions the propane which I use in my car "IS" a cleaner burning fuel if you burn auto mix out of a bottle you will see a dirty bluey yellow flame where as propane is a nice clean blue colour and in a car if you get the fuel company’s who make the auto mix putting more butane into it (which is commonly called a dirty mix) to make it cheap to make (a bigger profit for them) the emissions increase the same way that the cheaper unleaded fuel produce more emissions than the optimax and the like so its always relevant to how you want to look at it really also the way that the newer L.P.G. systems work they are using less gas for the same effect eg injection systems but yes I will agree that if it is cheaper people may use more me I live km out of town so I do a lot of travelling so yes I do look with blinders because I have no other choice but to do a lot of km's but what I’m saying is the figure are not always right and sometimes quoting figures just isn't quit right. But getting back to dirty mixes the problem with those also is that butane in its liquid state carries a what they call tar residue which actually looks like machine oil but when it hits your converter in large volumes and the liquids turned to vapour the tars left behind and heated by the converter ends up hardening inside it and stuffs your converter very quickly also yes I can hear it now not everyone does have access to propane but most taxi associations run propane and a lot of them other people can buy the gas from the depot not just taxi's so there is a lot of aspects to the whole story

Im not sure what oil from butane clogging up the convertor has got to do has got to do with emissions issue? LPG emissions that are quoted are for a mix, a mix of different alkanes. The figures are not for that of straight propane. Suggest you do some research on butane, its not such a bad thing to be running, it actually has more energy per litre than propane. There is a lot of contradictory info out there, but the only confirmed advantage of straight propane is knowing exactly what is there, whereas the propane/butane mix can vary.....which would require tuning changes and maintaining a higher RON which would be important if you had built yourself a motor with compression ratio > 11:1.

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
Im not sure what oil from butane clogging up the convertor has got to do has got to do with emissions issue? LPG emissions that are quoted are for a mix, a mix of different alkanes. The figures are not for that of straight propane. Suggest you do some research on butane, its not such a bad thing to be running, it actually has more energy per litre than propane. There is a lot of contradictory info out there, but the only confirmed advantage of straight propane is knowing exactly what is there, whereas the propane/butane mix can vary.....which would require tuning changes and maintaining a higher RON which would be important if you had built yourself a motor with compression ratio > 11:1.

This site has a talk about propane and the octane rating of 101 lsa.colorado.edu/summarystreet/texts/propane.htm
This site has the octane rating of butane 91en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
as far as auto mix with butane being good stuff it is ok as long was it is mixed in correct amounts but the octane rating of propane is deminished when mixed with butane, i was never on the macanic's side of the deal but i used to test auto tanks and house hold tanks including 9kg tanks in melbourne and you could always tell when someone used automix to fill the tanks they had a tar residue in the bottom of it so anyway look at the sites i have quoted and you will see what i am saying in this case and i am in the motions of getting hard copy info i can post about the different gas systems and what can be expected out of a car running them i will give you the answer to this question but i would ask you to follow up just so you know im not trying to **** in your pocket but why dont they use mixed gas in household bottles answer it burns crappy and it tends to block jets quicker so when theres larger than normal amounts of butane in the automix guess what it can make your car run bad and block your gas system and as for emmisions if you get a more efficent burn the by products deminish as the same way that 98 octane fuels burn cleaner in your car and produce more power.
also could you show me where you got your info and butane haveing more power per litre please the info im showing i got on google in 2 minutes if you would like i'll find more detailed info for you directly in relation to cars

Last edited:

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
This site has a talk about propane and the octane rating of 101 lsa.colorado.edu/summarystreet/texts/propane.htm
This site has the octane rating of butane 91en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
as far as auto mix with butane being good stuff it is ok as long was it is mixed in correct amounts but the octane rating of propane is deminished when mixed with butane,

Yes, that is correct......but as I said, unless you are running a highly modded motor, ie compression ratio > 11:1, then the extra RON of straight propane isnt really a consideration. Regular mix of lpg still has a RON better than 98 premium unleaded. Given that the RON of even straight butane(which cant work without a fuel pump) is as good as regular unleaded.....what is the problem?

why dont they use mixed gas in household bottles answer it burns crappy and it tends to block jets quicker so when theres larger than normal amounts of butane in the automix guess what it can make your car run bad and block your gas system
You are confusing the poor burning of a butane/propane mix in systems that are designed for propane only, with how it is burnt in a car engine. The jetting of the burners in domestic systems are designed for straight propane, not a mix including butane. Butane will not burn as well at low temps, producing more CO, which is possibly one of several reasons as to why domestic systems run propane only.......

and as for emmisions if you get a more efficent burn the by products deminish as the same way that 98 octane fuels burn cleaner in your car and produce more power.
Some fuel companies produce a fuel that produces less toxic emissions as a 98 Octane fuel than their 92 rated fuel, however, it is not a given that higher octane fuel burns cleaner, certainly it will not have any real effect on the CO2 output. It is not a given that the car produces more power either.

also could you show me where you got your info and butane haveing more power per litre
Where, I dont know, something I took in somewhere some time........Why not just go to wikepedia and look up butane and propane and look at the heat of combustion if you are in doubt,?

PS: your posts would be easy to read if you used paragraphs and more than one sentence.

Last edited:

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
PS: your posts would be easy to read if you used paragraphs and more than one sentence.

LOL my thoughts exactly! Posts like that are a real chore to read. :D

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
Well commsirac I actually seen my installer today and asked him a couple of things now I do have a shocking memory for names but to start with I have found out that his background is he worked as a tech mechanic for and hears the name I don’t remember one of the first company’s to import L.P.G. systems from overseas and went onto work for sprint gas in the development section with a mechanic base now to cut a long story shorter he knows not only how to install the gas systems, map the gas ECU and link it into the car ecu etc etc etc now I did say to him about this thread and the comments posted his response was people who want to believe they know what there talking about wont believe the truth and said to me knot to even bother trying to tell them.
Now as far as what I know I don’t know the figures obviously, the info I have I have got from him mainly I ran past him what I have been saying and im not far off the mark even the theory of butane being a great gas now obviously it is used but propane runs better in a gas driven car and I mean emissions ARE DOWN and I was told by my fitter something else today I didn't know butane carries carbon molecules which find there way into your car cylinders etc and produce carbon monoxide out of your exhaust, now in fork lifts(and I know im jumping so bare with me please as it is directly relevant) they don’t fill them at a bowser because they put propane into there tanks instead why? Because propane reduces carbon monoxide emissions but about 60% so I was told today.
When I turned up at my fitters business there were reps from spintgas there one sales rep one techy (I also told the techy the more energy per litre with auto gas over propane he laughed) the techy was running over there ECU systems with him (over my head) anyway there under bonnet systems there only giving to two businesses were I am the ones who know what there doing with there injected systems as opposed the mechanics who have been tort to fit the systems they want installers who understand the systems now the reason I put this comment forward to give you an idea how switched on this person is.
Now seriously if there is anyone who is thinking of fitting a system to there car and is in central Victoria send me a private message and I will tell you how to contact him, and please take all the negative remarks from here and any you've been told and ask him to give you the run down on the truth but please only if your looking at installing his time is money etc