Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS ute on LPG?

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Why not?

LPG is a high octane (higher than 98RON PULP), significantly cheaper, and with a good LPG system, burns cleaner while making the same amount of power and torque as the same engine running on petrol.

Look for a good Sequential Vapour Injection kit such as OMVL/Sprintgas, Tartarini, or Eurogas and ask the fitter for the largest regulator (converter) and injectors for the chosen system to ensure that the system is capable of delivering enough fuel to the engine even at WOT.

Regards,
Dave

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Tell me something, what does LPG stand for?

Good luck with it being cheaper than fuel for much longer... And once fuel runs out, guess what, no more LPG.

FYI - It's LIQUID PETROLIUM GAS - a bi-product of manufacturing fuel.

When you run dedicated gas (not dual fuel) you get BETTER performance from HIGHER octane levels than fuel. It's just not very popular to do.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Liquefied Petroleum Gas :whistling

You will never re-coup the cost of getting the gas kit put on, not at current gas prices and the gas rebate is facing the axe as well. Also, don't forget the LPG government excise coming in... 12c per litre I think it is which will be added onto the current LPG prices. It is significantly cheaper but it significantly reduces your mileage also. Gas needs to be LESS than half the price of fuel to be worth it, which it is really struggling to be at the moment and will never be once the gas excise comes in.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I just came here to see how many lpg haters had posted :). Just a few. I'll use the 5 litre as an example. On a 5 litre you make about a 40 percent saving on real world fuel costs when on lpg. If your spending say 60 bucks a week and most 5 litre owners will be doing more than that. It will take 41 weeks to get your 1000 bucks back for the lpg conversion after that its profit. Not to mention the bottom end of the engine has a good chance of going a million ks on lpg which it will never get close to on petrol due to bore washing

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Yup, gotta love the LPG haters and those who can't crunch numbers. They're they ones who miss out on the huge savings LPG has to offer!

With an SVI system, you pay $4000-$5000 to get it installed, get your $2000 rebate (and an extra $1000 if you live in WA) and you will only use slightly more gas than you would petrol (approx. 10-15% more). With LPG prices hanging around the 65c mark and the absolute cheapest petrol being around $1.33, the savings come fast.

The LPG excise will be applied from 2011 onwards. In 2011, the excise will start at 2.5cpl, increasing by 2.5cpl yearly until the capped 12.5cpl is reached in 2015, so there is still plenty of time to save, and I can't see petrol prices dropping either.

FWIW, it would take the average motorist (20,000km per annum) well under two years to recoup the cost of an SVI conversion minus the rebate, even when petrol usage and servicing costs are factored in.

Regards,
Dave

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Show me ANYWHERE you can get a gas conversion done for less than $2000.

The AVERAGE person would be lucky to do 15,000km a year, not 20,000km.

LPG has been above 70 cents a litre for a LONG time.

As LPG is a bi-product of the fuel refining process, the cost will continue to go up.

Bore washing? LOL!!! You're still living in the 20th century!!!

LPG isn't as good as it seems, ever!

And besides, I don't care. Bring on $2 and $3 a litre fuel I say. Get all dero's and their **** boxes off the road! Price of fuel doesn't affect me :D

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
well i live 20 km out of town myself and do a ****load of kms i have a vt v6 and had a sequential multi point gas injection (vapor) put into my car now km per km i used to get about 450 km out of a tank of fuel (as the km's in transit were in slow traffic) now id pay fuel at say $1.50ltr so a tank of 75 ltrs would cost me say $112 with gas the tank holds 70ltrs usable at (and someone said you cant get gas under 70cents per litre) and at 68cents per ltr of not just gas propane not automix gas it costs me $47.60 now you work that out in dollars per km ratio 1km in fuel costs me 25 cents as apposed to gas which costs me 12 cents per km.
now the system cost me $3900 to install brand new and i got $2000 back so i think the conversion would be worth it and the gentalment who installed the system told me they are close to bringing out a liquid not vapor injection system which would produce more power out of your engine that fuel ever would unless you wanted to run methanol mix but with out the over all risks of mixed fuels now i can hear the skeptics now saying he's full of it well feel free to do your home work i buy my gas at a place in bendigo victoria call bendigo cylinder testing it is not automix its propane and the man who installed my system and told me about the future system his name is john he runs a mobil injection cleaning service and has a base of operatins where he does macanics he can be contacted on (03)54444284 so please feel free to shoot holes in my story if you were seriously looking at gas i would do the homework a gas system lasts 10 yrs before you need a tank retest so thats a lot of time to make back your first investment