Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS ute on LPG?

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
o yes sorry i forgot to mention the L.P.G. system i have is running a reprogramable computer which has a lot of types of programs for the gas system the one running in mine gives me the same power that i get from petrol you would not know the difference and i have a performance memcal in the car to which i not long put in and the gas loves that too, as far as power goes you wouldn't know if you were running on petrol or gas unless you looked at the petrol/gas light

Last edited:

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Show me ANYWHERE you can get a gas conversion done for less than $2000.

T
Well, it would have been possible before the rebate scheme kicked in, for older cars that just needed a tank, mixer and convertor.......but that's supply and demand for you. Im guessing they wont be selling too many svi sytems at $4500 once the rebate is taken away!

LPG has been above 70 cents a litre for a LONG time.
Well, I havent seen it for that much in Melbourne......yet

As LPG is a bi-product of the fuel refining process, the cost will continue to go up.
You might want to do some research.....just go to google. Australia's crude oil deposits consist of vast amounts of naturally occuring lpg(well, the material that is found in lpg).....hence the governments push to try and use more of it.

Bore washing? LOL!!! You're still living in the 20th century!!!
Engines still have bores dont they......every done an oil change on a car that just runs lpg.......it just doesnt go dirty......because?
And besides, I don't care. Bring on $2 and $3 a litre fuel I say. Get all dero's and their **** boxes off the road! Price of fuel doesn't affect me :D

Now you are talking sense, perhaps our goals are different though.....I want to see less CO2, you just want to get from A to B faster?

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
thats a very good point to L.P.G. "IS" a cleaner burning fuel

Yes, lpg is a cleaner burning fuel, but the reduction in CO2 emissions are not that large.

Using say this as an example:
Ford BF MK II Falcon XT LPG 4.0L 6cyl , Auto 4 speed Sedan, 5 seats , 2WD 2006
244 gm/km CO2 emissions

Ford BF MK II Falcon XT Petrol 91RON 4.0L 6cyl , Auto 4 speed Sedan, 5 seats , 2WD 2006
255 gm/km CO2 emissions

The reductions here would be minimal, the lpg industry itself claims 15%, but from a stoichiometric point of view based on the fuel's energy the figure is ~10%.

If lpg was more expensive, then it would be a good choice for the reduction of emissions. However, pricing at the moment doesnt encourage selective use.....it actually increases the CO2 problem because it is cheaper to burn.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
i saw a vy clubsport on gas today.... i nearly cried

haha.. it amazes me, why people buy performance cars then LPG them to save on running costs. If you want to buy a v8, you should be able to afford to run it. If you can't, get a v6!

poweredbycng

Reaction score
haha.. it amazes me, why people buy performance cars then LPG them to save on running costs. If you want to buy a v8, you should be able to afford to run it. If you can't, get a v6!

And we have another non-believer. There are countless examples out there of cars that actually make more power on injected LPG than they do on petrol, and that's BEFORE modifications.

Regards,
Dave

FPV 4 T

myspace.com/attakarrak
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
2008 VE HSV Clubsport R8.
Yup, gotta love the LPG haters and those who can't crunch numbers. They're they ones who miss out on the huge savings LPG has to offer!

With an SVI system, you pay $4000-$5000 to get it installed, get your $2000 rebate (and an extra $1000 if you live in WA) and you will only use slightly more gas than you would petrol (approx. 10-15% more). With LPG prices hanging around the 65c mark and the absolute cheapest petrol being around $1.33, the savings come fast.

The LPG excise will be applied from 2011 onwards. In 2011, the excise will start at 2.5cpl, increasing by 2.5cpl yearly until the capped 12.5cpl is reached in 2015, so there is still plenty of time to save, and I can't see petrol prices dropping either.

FWIW, it would take the average motorist (20,000km per annum) well under two years to recoup the cost of an SVI conversion minus the rebate, even when petrol usage and servicing costs are factored in.

Regards,
Dave

LOL where you live that may be the case haha but where I live in WA LPG is $114.9 and 91 Octane is $186.9!!! its ****ed! not to mention I have to use at least 95 or 98 Octaine for my Clubby and that is even more expensive. last week diesel was over $213.4 a liter!

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
Yes, lpg is a cleaner burning fuel, but the reduction in CO2 emissions are not that large.

Using say this as an example:
Ford BF MK II Falcon XT LPG 4.0L 6cyl , Auto 4 speed Sedan, 5 seats , 2WD 2006
244 gm/km CO2 emissions

Ford BF MK II Falcon XT Petrol 91RON 4.0L 6cyl , Auto 4 speed Sedan, 5 seats , 2WD 2006
255 gm/km CO2 emissions

The reductions here would be minimal, the lpg industry itself claims 15%, but from a stoichiometric point of view based on the fuel's energy the figure is ~10%.

If lpg was more expensive, then it would be a good choice for the reduction of emissions. However, pricing at the moment doesnt encourage selective use.....it actually increases the CO2 problem because it is cheaper to burn.

well i thought any CO2 reduction was a good reduction, and im sorry the last section i just dont understand what your saying if lpg was more expensive then it would be a good choice for the reduction of emissions???? and as it reads cheaper price actualy increase CO2 problems??? sorry but can you explain how