Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS-V L98 losing 1L of oil every 4000km or so.

Nick C

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Holden Commodore VE SS-V Manual
My 07 SS-V is losing about a litre of oil every 4000km, I have been told it’s maybe the PCV system.
How do I check this?
Any other ideas?

TIA

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If there are problems with PCV system and oil is being consumed, basically it’s being fed from the engine back into the intake pipe before entering the combustion chamber and being burnt.

So check the intake plumbing around the throttle bottle for thick oil misted insides and pool of oil within the plumbing. Lightly misted oil insides is probably ok but not ideal.

Ps: I’ve read you shouldn’t push the throttle body fully open by hand and don’t wipe the inside of the throttle body as it may cause high idle afterwards but I’ve got no experience with this issue myself so just an FYI.

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
PCV system wont be causing the oil loss. All that does is catch blow by and pump it through the air intake to be re burnt.

But excessive oil consumption can be 1 of 100 different things, but usually start by looking at valve's and piston rings.

I'd expect to lose maybe 1Lt oil over 10'000km, but not 4000.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ yep, but looking into the intake system will confirm whether he has oil pooling where it shouldn’t and thus clear any PCV concerns he may have. It’s an easy thing to check and what he asked about.

Then when he is satisfied the PCV system is working as it should be, he can focus on other more probably causes of excessive oil consumption, which as you say is likely due to valve seal seal failure or piston oil control ring failure. For the latter, a compression or leak down test can give a good indication of ring/bore problems and is a good way to get a general feel of engine health.

I do agree that 1 ltr per 4000 kms seems rather excessive and even with revving the crap out of his engine it’s unlikely a bad PCV system will allow so much oil to be consumed via combustion.

Ps: @Nick C why start a new thread when you could have added to your exisisting thread on this issue?

Last edited: