Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS-Vish in Q8

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Thats good to hear!! Looking forwards to see some pics.

Kooji

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Just a few thoughts and questions since my last post:

1. Is the rough idle normal? I think I read somewhere that it was.

2. The trip computer still has no clue what my range is. It's still coming back with really **** figures. Is this normal, because my average speed is still pretty low (27kph). Or is mileage crap in the first few thou?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Erm, i thought ALL SS's were shipped with either 6 speed manual or 6 speed auto. The 4L60/5 won't bolt in. This included international shipments also. The reason fuel economy is crap is because these engines love being revved. You have an average of 27 kph in speed. It is a 6.0 litre V8 of course it doesn't like slow speeds lol.

Can someone tell me why Holden would ship such a heavy car with a 4 speed transmission or even if they do that?

Kooji

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
It's definitely a 4-speed, and as much as I hated it, I really had no other choice (but the 6-speed manual which, as I mentioned earlier, means you buy the car for life and affect its resale value).

As for the average speed, although I've been lots of high-way driving, with speeds averaging 120kph (the legal limit), the average speed hasn't changed much. Does it calculate it per journey, or per entire odo mileage, or per trip (from ignition to ignition)? I'm not REALLY driving at 27kph, or anywhere near that :)

Today, I may be taking her in to the stealership to get the tires replaced and to sort out the rear roof mounted brake light (it's got what appears to be white dust on the inside).

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Very strange on the 4 speed, I can't find any info on the export VE but maybe Holden are using left over stock on the exports? seems a very ruuuude thing to do if that's what is happening. Anyway it worked fine on the VY and VZ :)

Kooji

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I'm not sure it would be Holden's responsibility. Rather, I think the local dealers wanted to lower the car's price as much as possible, so asked Holden to sell it to them with older 4-gear trans. It sucks, it really does, but so far, I can't really figure out what real performance difference this can cause besides fuel economy. I would love to get some insight from people who have 6-speed autos on this.

Also, what tires does the VE SS come with as standard in AU? Here, it's Yokohomas, but I have the opportunity to get them replaced with any other brand if I pay a visit to the stealership.

Last edited:

Kooji

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS

Kooji

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Knocking sound

Well, it's been 4 days since I picked up my car, and so far so good. A few concerns and questions (some of which are mentioned above), but there's one specific concern that has started to develop.

Everytime I set off (and I literally mean everytime, regardless of how hot or cold the car is, or in which direction of travel I start off with), after I start moving forwards for about 4, 5 meters, there's a subdued thump from the front right wheel. I can't feel it in the pedals, or in the chassis or in the wheels -its just a sound. This has happened since I took delivery of the car. Is this a niggle that'll go away with time? Or is this something more sinister? It sounds like the something suddenly disengaging.

Ideally, I'd take the car to the dealership to have it looked at, but I know those oafs will do more harm than good, and I really wouldn't want them fiddling around if there it isn't something to be concerned about.

As always, any help appreciated.

Kooji

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
:) I noticed it when I saw the pedals with the gas pedal on the left.

Best thing is, they don't actually sell the SSV in the ME, and they don't even offer it with the colour-coded dash.