Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Water Pump Replacement

mattattack1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Commodore
Hi,

The local holden dealer has identified that I need to replace the water pump on my 09 ssv - to resolve a whining noise that has worsened in the last 6 weeks.
OK I says, then the girl says that will be $750 sir!
I say thanks but no thanks, thinking surely it ain't that dear.
Quick search at Holmart finds me a genuine pump for 250-290 the latter including thermostat.
Is this is a pretty easy job to do? I'm no mechanic but know some basics - bush mechanic from way back!

Looked on here and elsewhere but couldn't find a full "how to"

Really appreciate any help.

Cheers

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
if you have an email address, I can send you a file for doing this, covers all cooling system for V8 and V6, too big to attach here

mattattack1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Commodore
Thanks to MYVESSV8 for the info you sent me very good accurate stuff.
As mentioned I had to replace the water pump on my machine, it had become increasingly noisy and I just wanted to pass on this info having replaced it now.

I picked up a genuine GMH water pump for my 09 VE SSV(L98) for about half what Holden wanted.

Having removed the original unit that came off my vehicle I saw that it was different to the new genuine one - the upper radiator hose inlet was on the left side of the pulley not the right. Turns out my original pump was for the 6.2L (Gen 3?) engine. (No idea why that pump was on my mine - bought this car new from dealer?)

Also the thermostat housing outlet comes off at a right angle not angled downwards, though the existing hose still fits with a slight stretch.

Anyway it wasn't a big drama,just had to get a longer upper hose which is the standard part for it if it has the right pump!

Will get some pics up later, thanks again to MYVESSV8 and love the forum.

Mufudzi

Reaction score
Hey mate do you mind sending me the pump replacement info if you still got it. Looking to changing the pump in my sv6.

SSV270

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2007 SSV
Hey, do you mind sending me the pump replacement info too.

Just like mattattack1, I need to replace the water pump on my 07 ssv, holden quoted me $820 fitted. They also told me i need new heater hoses x2 at $195.

Really appreciate the file.

Thanks

JohnnysVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ve sv6
Hi buddy, any chance you can also send me the instructions also?

Just signed up to this forum but have been going to this forum and looking at other blogs.

Thought it be about time I signed up. :)

Gotta say i love this site