Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Water Pump Replacement

domt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY berlina 5.7
Hi any chance you can send me the info also?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
if you need the info pm your email as the file is too big for here, did I send to all who asked, it doesn't look like it from my pm box, if you cant pm you can try email (same area as pm) if not let me know on here and i'll send you a pm to reply to

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
Hey me too please. PM sent . Cheers mate .

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
all pm's answered (must be getting old if I forgot- old timers disease) it was that 50th Birthday the other day

collos69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
if its not too late, can you please send it to me as well.

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Hi,

The local holden dealer has identified that I need to replace the water pump on my 09 ssv - to resolve a whining noise that has worsened in the last 6 weeks.
OK I says, then the girl says that will be $750 sir!
I say thanks but no thanks, thinking surely it ain't that dear.
Quick search at Holmart finds me a genuine pump for 250-290 the latter including thermostat.
Is this is a pretty easy job to do? I'm no mechanic but know some basics - bush mechanic from way back!

Looked on here and elsewhere but couldn't find a full "how to"

Really appreciate any help.

Cheers

Guys, I know this post was a year or so ago but just some advice. Holden sells the water pump for SS and SSV by VIN Number. So after reading this post where the buyer bought aftermarket and received the wrong one, if you specify the VIN Number at a Holden dealer you will actually get the right unit.

There are three different types for SS and SSV depending on build date.

I ordered a water pump by VIN Number and the right one to turn up.

Get to know your Holden spare parts dealer and you will be paying about the same as you can get from places like Holmart, Repco, etc.

As for removal, I see an instruction was sent but it is straight forward.

Remove engine cover
Remove drive belt
Remove Air intake assembly, 2 hose clamps
Unclip rigid hose to air assembly
Remove electrical connector nearby
Put air intake assembly aside
Unclip both heater hoses and seal off with plastic bags (freezer bags are great) and elastic bands on ends
Unclip bottom radiator hose clip on water pump and remove hose. Seal off with bag again.
Unclip Top radiator hose clip on water pump and remove hose. Seal off with bag.
Seal off outlets on water pump as well to stop coolant leaking from it when you take it off.
Remove top tension pulley 2 bolts
Undo 6 bolts around water pump. Water Pump comes off as a complete unit. Remove old gaskets and clean any residue rubber off with acetone and wipe off with clean rag and fresh water.
Have some clean rags to seal off the four water inlets/outlets to the engine to keep out dirt.
Put a bag and elastic band over air intake to engine (Butterfly valve) to keep out any dirt.
The new water pump comes with two gaskets and thermostat. Assemble new water pump by using six existing bolts placed through three gasket holes each. No need for any gasket cement as the gaskets have rubber beads that compress and seal when the bolts are tightened.
Re-connect heater hoses and bottom radiator hose to water pump. Make sure the clips are in the correct position on the hoses before installation, expand clips then push the hoses on then release clips. Refill the engine with coolant via the top inlet then reconnect the top radiator hose to the water pump. Refill radiator and reservoir. Reinstall belt, air intake etc. Re-install engine cover.
When it's all back together run engine to operating temp. Look for any leaks. Push the left steering wheel control button then turn engine ign from off to on and release. This will bring up the diagnostics and you can watch the coolant temp rise in degrees on your LCD. About 100C the thermostat should open and temp drop back to 93/94C as radiator water starts to circulate. Allow to cool and then re-check engine coolant level in radiator, top up, then fill reservoir to 25mm above the high mark. Re-check coolant level over several days. Top up if necessary as any trapped air is expelled into the reservoir.

Last edited:

ahmarj

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ve lumina v6 2006
please help

if you need the info pm your email as the file is too big for here, did I send to all who asked, it doesn't look like it from my pm box, if you cant pm you can try email (same area as pm) if not let me know on here and i'll send you a pm to reply to

Please send me the info if possible. i need to change the water pump. Thanks in advance

My email is [email protected]

I may also need to change thermostat.
Same procedure applies?
help is much appreciated

Bennonew

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS Ute
Hi mate,

Just doing my water pump. Don't suppose you could tell me the torque value on the 6, 10mm bolts on the pump. Did you use loctite? Cheers