Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV 2007 Won't Start

inais

Rookie
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Ute
Hey all, having a few issues with my VE.

Battery is charged, have scanned with ms609 to find no fault codes(engine).

Everything seems normal, except the oil pressure gauge shows no marks on it, and the engine/transmission (whatever the orange thing is) is showing, all other light dissappear.
Have checked the fuses, and fuse boxes all appear ok. at least the relevant ones to the motor/ignition.
Something is just stopping it from kicking over.
I know with if the clutch isnt engaged she wont kick, is this something i should be looking at?
Have had no problems with it before, parked it up, left over night, and she didn't wanna wake up this morning.

Any info, or even places to look would be greatly appreciated.
I love troubleshooting, but this ones done my head in for the past few hours

Cheers

PS.. Sorry if this has been asked before, or same issues have happened, i searched the forum before posting with no luck

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
When you say "stopping it from kicking over", do you mean the starter motor is not spinning or is the starter spinning the engine but its not firing so to speak? Can you hear the starter solinoid click?

How do you know the battery is charged?

Has any work been carried out recently?

inais

Rookie
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Ute
Yep, can hear something clicking around the intake occasionally not sure if thats the solenoid.

Battery guage is showing 12+V Plus had it jump start set up and still no change
Battery also has a sight glass that has a green colour which means OK.

Turn the key, and nothing happens at all really. lights turn on (it was late arvo), and you hear the click, but just nothing turning or any kind of movement. Not like a normal flat battery when you hear a click.

It's my mrs car, she had the 120k km service done on it just last week. I didnt have my code machine at the time, so could reset the annoying "service" message on the dash

Cheers

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Try another ignition key.
Wouldn't hurt to disconnect battery for 10 minutes, check the voltage on that while you are at it, reconnect and wait five minutes, turn ignition on (but do not start) for a minute then try again.

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
If u can clutch start it and it runs it could be the clutch safety switch or starter motor or starter relay that will help narrow it down

inais

Rookie
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Ute
cheers for that guys. something to try tommorow arvo.
I think the mrs mentioned something about the clutch stuff once before? Where would i located the safety switch?

It really feels alot like your trying to start it without the clutch in kind of dead

so ill start with the key, and investigate there.

why would the engine light stay on and no oil pressure reading? it that just because its not started but the ignition it on so it cant get a reading?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yes that's it, zero oil pressure when not in operation. So there should be an oil can light on ignition, not a "reading"?
Take a pic with ignition on would make it clearer, but I reckon it is either key or software.
Disconnect the battery as above.

inais

Rookie
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Ute
Yes that's it, zero oil pressure when not in operation. So there should be an oil can light on ignition, not a "reading"?
Take a pic with ignition on would make it clearer, but I reckon it is either key or software.
Disconnect the battery as above.

ok. will try those.
the oil light does come on, but turns off after a bit. the only light that stays on after everything is the engine light. will have a try tommorrow. if i cant figure it out, ill come back with a pic of the dash.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
You dont need to hook up to the obd to get rid of the service warning, you just hold the trip button down on start up and push enter on the steering wheel.

Bit of a coincidence you just had the service done and now this problem.
I would be looking at the clutch switch, I've herd there was a problem with earlyer models. I would think it would throw a code though...
You've defenantly checked the fuses in the passangers side kick panel, the battery is green so not flat, if another key doesnt work I would lean towards the clutch switch.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
^^ makes good sense, could also be that Chinese scan tool using the wrong protocol / wrong settings to clear codes etc., I'd reboot the lot (and put the scan tool away for the moment) - pull the battery out for a bit as above.