Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV 25% Underdrive Pulley

Maltese2nv

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV Manual
Hey guys, I drive a 2007 VE SSV 6 speed manual. I’ve come across these 25% underdrive pulleys and was impressed by the results, for only a few hundred dollars. I understand these are larger pulleys, designed to slow down the accessories to unlock around 10-15rwkw.

-My main concern, is that how do these pulleys affect the rest of the car, such as slowing things down like the water pump? Can this cause the car to overheat?
-Does the slower pulley make steering more difficult, especially in slower situations such as parking?
-Can these Underdrive pulleys be a problem?
-Why aren’t these on from factory if they’re a good product?
-Is there only a 25% option for the VE’s? Any other choices?
-What’s the best brand to go for?
-Is it best to get a tune after installation?

My car is a daily, so I need to keep it reliable. The car is a series 1, but I upgraded to the series 2 setup (one extra pulley) over 5 years ago when I first bought the car, as the series 1 VE 6 Litres had a tendency to slip belts and prevent the aircon from blowing cold air. I haven’t had this problem since upgrading to the series 2 pulley setup, but now I’m thinking I should’ve just gone straight to a 25% Underdrive pulley setup had I’d known they existed back then in the first place.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
You would be lucky to see 5hp, money is better spent on cam and/or tuning

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
-Why aren’t these on from factory if they’re a good product?

They're largely for constant higher revving engines (track, race) so that the accessories (alternator, power steering pump, air con, water pump etc...) don't "over rev". The power you see will probably be mostly at the top of the rev range where you don't use it, and really it's for people looking to get every ounce of power out of the engine (or just a side effect of the reduction in diameter to slow the pullies down).

If you hopped in an identical car with one and took it for a drive you probably wouldn't notice unless somebody told you, waste of money really if you don't need a new one. That and I've read of the occasional flat battery because the alternator is spinning slower - dunno how likely it is though. Plenty of people that have them here though.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
The std balancer is known to give out on these engines so would be a good excuse to that as a measure of preventive maintenance if yours still has the original, as old mate above said plenty of people have them and have never heard of it causing any issues.. if you do end up getting one let me know how it goes I’m thinking of possibly getting one myself