Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV Alternator issues

MITCHSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Hi all,

I'm having issues with the alternator on my 2008 SSV. Starts with no issues every time. After about 5-10 minutes of driving, the digital gauge showing voltage drops from 14.4-14.8 to below 12 volts. After continuing to drive for another 5-10, the voltage increases back up to 14 volts.

Battery doesn't seem to be holding charge so I'm assuming the alternator is dead, but want to confirm before I go and blow $200+ on a newey.

Cheers

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
How old is the battery?

MITCHSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
I honestly couldn't tell you. I've had the car for 2 years and looking through the service receipts from previous owners (quite a few missing), I can't see where/if it was changed. It's a Delkor battery but there's no markings stating when it was fitted or when it was manufactured.

MITCHSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Just tried the battery with the engine off. Windows go up fine and the headlights don't dim when at idle. I'm thinking all the evidence is pointing to the alternator

MITCHSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
So I bit the bullet the other night and bought a new alternator of eBay. $250 and 3 years warranty. Dealership wanted almost $700 for an OEM one. Threw it in this afternoon and all seems ok. No issues so far. Fingers crossed!!

MITCHSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
So here I am, not even 24 hours later and I'm back to square one. Alternator charging voltage doesn't drop as quickly as before, but still it's not charging the battery. After starting the engine, charging voltage goes up to 15.1, and then over 3-4 minutes after warming up, drops to 12....
This is frustrating and I don't want to throw anymore money at the problem and hope it'll go away.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
So here I am, not even 24 hours later and I'm back to square one. Alternator charging voltage doesn't drop as quickly as before, but still it's not charging the battery. After starting the engine, charging voltage goes up to 15.1, and then over 3-4 minutes after warming up, drops to 12....
This is frustrating and I don't want to throw anymore money at the problem and hope it'll go away.

Mitch, how long have you had the car? I'm thinking that perhaps there's no problem at all. I only read this thread today and I was thinking probably not an alternator problem. If there's a problem, the charging of a VE is controlled by one of the modules but I don't know specifics, I'm also thinking if you had an SS or an SV6 etc you wouldn't have a volt meter and unless your battery goes flat or the car's hard to start you wouldn't be aware of any problem. I'm thinking the module that controls the charge just shuts it down based on certain parameters. I realise 12 Volts is low and 12.6 is ideal and around the 13.8 to 14 something when charging. So it charges for first 5 to 10 minutes then next 5 to 10 minutes no charge, what happens after this, does it start charging again? Maybe it's not necessarily a problem. If you've had the car for a while is this something that's changed?

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
For those interested in a technical explanation of the issue;(from Holden dealer in Sydney)

"The issue does vary alot with the different models.Holden have release updated BCM (Body Control Module) software to correct SOMEof the charge problems, the new software changes the the rate of charge from thealtenator and sets the BCM's "state of charge" to a different tolerance.We have had some cases where the batteries in new VE's have been faulty fromfactory, with the batteries only receiving half charge.When only given half charge from factory the ECU and BCM automatically see thisas "default charge" and will only ever charge to that level.This level is enough to start the vehicle and operate all the systems, but thedrain becomes too much for a half charged batteries, so if the problem ispresented to the dealerships, the battery is usually replaced and the updatedBCM software is installed.The drain issue changes from model to model, we have had a Calais V where wereplace 2 modules of the electronic system to correct the battery drain issue.The issue can sometimes be the computer system (the high and low speed buses ofthe ECU and other components), they have a shutdown timer as they stay activeafter the vehicle has been shut off for other features of the vehicle, likelighting features and security.Sometimes they need resetting as they stay on for too long after the ignitionhas been turned off and can drain the battery."

MITCHSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Mitch, how long have you had the car? I'm thinking that perhaps there's no problem at all. I only read this thread today and I was thinking probably not an alternator problem. If there's a problem, the charging of a VE is controlled by one of the modules but I don't know specifics, I'm also thinking if you had an SS or an SV6 etc you wouldn't have a volt meter and unless your battery goes flat or the car's hard to start you wouldn't be aware of any problem. I'm thinking the module that controls the charge just shuts it down based on certain parameters. I realise 12 Volts is low and 12.6 is ideal and around the 13.8 to 14 something when charging. So it charges for first 5 to 10 minutes then next 5 to 10 minutes no charge, what happens after this, does it start charging again? Maybe it's not necessarily a problem. If you've had the car for a while is this something that's changed?
I've had the car for 2 years now and haven't had any electrical problems before. I hadn't even thought of it as a module problem. After the car is warm, the charging voltage sits between 12.7-13.0 volts. Seems to be charging the battery though from the tests I've done so maybe it is fixed?? Not sure but I'll keep everyone posted.