Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV Auto up to the task?

kahlnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV A6
I've hit google and forums pretty hard and can't find much real life experience with people putting decent power through a standard VE SSV auto trans, 6L80.

What sort of power is being put through these stock 6L80s? I know the factory rating sbut keen to hear the real life stuff!

Also what are you regularly revving these to? I pick my car up on Saturday and it's likely to have around 330rwkw and redline will now be 6,500rpm, the shop says the auto will be fine but keen to hear from anyone who has done this or broken a 6L80 with similar or less power.

Thanks in advance...

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Mine has bang on the same power (330rwkw).. Before that it had about 260rwkw. I admit I often leave shifting to the auto and only drive in manual mode when I get closer to home..

I've put 40,000kms on it at 260.. And another 5000kms since 330.. And it had 80,000kms on it before I started.. It's copped a helluva beating with numerous trips to the drags and powercruise sessions.. But I did also get a gearbox tune (whatever is involved with that)..

I've been told they are quite reliable to around 400rwkw.. Don't know how true that is..

Pays to get your mechanic to check the oil level in the box from time to time also.. Mine has been fine but I've heard of blokes needing to top theirs up.

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV & 1999 VT SS SII
I've heard / read you can run up 500rwkw on the standard VE A6 box before having to upgrade but how you apply that power is really the defining factor.

Thrash anything too harshly and it's toast.

You'll be fine with your numbers. I've got 311rwkw and no probs with the A6 box after some spirited driving. If you are looking to do track days, drags, maybe a tranny oil cooler would be of benefit.

Has the mod shop re-mapped your tranny yet?

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8
I've put 40,000kms on it at 260.. And another 5000kms since 330.. And it had 80,000kms on it before I started.. It's copped a helluva beating with numerous trips to the drags and powercruise sessions.. But I did also get a gearbox tune (whatever is involved with that)..
. I had engine tune and Trans tune. When thay tune the Trans all it is is adjusting the oil pressures for the shift changes. Whilst I'm here, you guys getting 300+ rwkw are you talking N/A or forced induction?? I ended up with 252 rwkw after full exhaust + tune.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
260rwkw was intake and exhaust..
330rwkw was with Cam and Head work..
All NA..

Would love to do an 8psi charger next.

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
257rwkw with OTR, tune, headers, cats and 2.5 inch zorst
311rwkw with cam, valves, springs, rods, U/D pulley and new tune. (the dreaded A6 gear box 2-3 flare disappeared after the cam went in and new tune)

+1 on a nice S/C.

Your 252rwkw is bang in the middle of the range from the results I've seen for that kind of set-up (leaving aside the variances due to how hard the tune is, size of zorst, cats, headers, type of OTR etc).

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
When you say 'new tune' was that a new tranny tune also?

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8
The tune was done on a 28 degree day so was a little warm :-(. However on a cold night it really gets up and boogys as most cars do. Also I'm not running otr air intake. Just k&n filter in standard box.

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
When you say 'new tune' was that a new tranny tune also?

No, the A6 remap was left untouched but whatever the shop did re the new tune to suit the cam, banished the gear change flare.