Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV back to stock (FE2) ride height.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hi Everyone.

I’ve recently bought a VE SSV on dual fuel and it’s got lowered springs in it (king springs lowered coils, not super lows) running stock shocks but I want to bring it back to the stock FE2 ride height as it crashes around too much and bottoms out on the bump stops sometimes on the **** roads here and has difficulty over some speed bumps and driveways especially with the LPG tank in the back making the rear sit quite a bit lower than the front. The back end clearance is only around 11cm.

I only need to change the springs out (which I can do myself) but the difficulty I’m having is that I can’t seem to find aftermarket springs that actually say they are FE2 ride height or even tell you what your expected ride height will be.

I though the standard height king springs listed for V8 would be the right items but they are exactly the same part number as the V6 ones so I assume would be stock (Omega) ride height not FE2?

Does anyone know where you can get new FE2 height springs from (other than from a Holden dealership where you will pay an arm and a leg)?

I’m wanting to get out of this for around 500 bucks tops so I’m not after the ducks nuts of springs, just something like factory springs.

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere but I had a search though previous threads and couldn’t find anything.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
other than from a Holden dealership where you will pay an arm and a leg

I have seen others pleasantly surprised at the price of genuine suspension parts from Holden dealers.

Give them a call first before you discard them altogether.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sound like the rear shocks have had it?
Springs possibly ok?

The springs look pretty new. I’m not sure how old the shocks are but they look old. They might be the originals and they might still be serviceable but seeing as they are on lowered springs I will never know as the damper rate on the stock shocks will be incorrect for the lowered springs in any case so it’s probably going to bottom out on stock shocks even if they were new.

My SV6 still has the original shocks in it and it still rides ok so at the moment I’m going to do the springs to get the ride height I want and cross the shocks bridge when/if I get to it.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have seen others pleasantly surprised at the price of genuine suspension parts from Holden dealers.

Give them a call first before you discard them altogether.

I might give them a call and see what the damage is. Who knows, they might be clearing parts out cheap with the demise of Holden.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Have you considered FE3?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you considered FE3?

Wasn’t it only the VF that had FE3? I assume the suspension would all be the same but you know what they say, assumptions are the mother of all fuckups.

Also what is the height difference between FE2 and FE3?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I think the series two introduced it.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
My 9/12 SSV Z has FE3.

@J_D 2.0 check my ride thread in the link in my sig below for pics.

Looks good. And about where I want my ride height the be at, even gap around the guards instead of the rear wheels tucked under the guards like it is atm.