Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ssv high idle after MAF/TB clean

Seanssv08

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
OP what did you use to clean the MAF exactly, and what did you use to clean the throttle body?
The presumption is you used two seperate aerosols with both components removed from vehicle, disconnected. Because it is not the same solvent.
Also how did you care for the green rubber TB seal on R&R?
To check for air leaks there is no way to do that visually. Read up on using aerosol to do that properly.
Is your car running the stock tune? Should have definitely thrown a code with that consumption.
Has it got stock exhaust or aftermarket been fitted?
I used Liqui-Moly Air Flow Sensor Cleaner from super cheap. I didnt take of the TB just sprayed on a rag with the MAF cleaner and wiped it down and Opended the butterfly by hand and gave it a wipe.. stock tune..just otr and 3inch cat back..
It has thrown a P0118 coolent temp sensor because ive noticed when it starts to rev up and down the temp is also effected and twice it thrown that code but then it disappears when idle goes back to nornal..

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I used Liqui-Moly Air Flow Sensor Cleaner from super cheap. I didnt take of the TB just sprayed on a rag with the MAF cleaner and wiped it down and Opended the butterfly by hand and gave it a wipe.. stock tune..just otr and 3inch cat back..
It has thrown a P0118 coolent temp sensor because ive noticed when it starts to rev up and down the temp is also effected and twice it thrown that code but then it disappears when idle goes back to nornal..
So stock tune then?
Throttle blade isn’t opening properly I think, still surprised it hasn’t thrown a different code.
You should never move the throttle blade by hand, while connected on vehicle, may break position sensor.
I would hook up your scan tool and read the ECTB pid and log the reading ign off, on, startup and under load. I suspect the TB sensor either has shiit sprayed on it else have scored the potentiometer or otherwise think you may have stuffed it.

pnlimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice L98
You say you squirted the cleaner through the TB? This can cause problems as the spray can get into the electronics and bugger them. The correct cleaning method is to spray the cleaner on a rag then wipe the metal surfaces to remove any deposit build up.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
just sprayed on a rag with the MAF cleaner and wiped it down

That stuff isn't supposed to be applied to the MAF sensor with a rag and the MAF sensor itself isn't really supposed to be touched, you're just supposed to squirt the sensor with it. The solvent in the cleaner eats any oil/residue on it and the spray kinda blows the dirt off.

Ive checked for vaccum leaks cant see any..

Typically you can't see them, you need to spray something combustable around the intake areas to see if there is a change idle, but at this stage it sounds like your MAF.

Last edited:

Seanssv08

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
So stock tune then?
Throttle blade isn’t opening properly I think, still surprised it hasn’t thrown a different code.
You should never move the throttle blade by hand, while connected on vehicle, may break position sensor.
I would hook up your scan tool and read the ECTB pid and log the reading ign off, on, startup and under load. I suspect the TB sensor either has shiit sprayed on it else have scored the potentiometer or otherwise think you may have stuffed it.
Ah ok...i dont think the obd2 has that reading on it?..is the sensor on the side where the plug connect? How can i check the sensor?

Seanssv08

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
You say you squirted the cleaner through the TB? This can cause problems as the spray can get into the electronics and bugger them. The correct cleaning method is to spray the cleaner on a rag then wipe the metal surfaces to remove any deposit build up.
No i never said i sprayed through the TB. i said i sprayed onto a rag and wiped it...i took off the MAF and sprayed though that though, which is how you clean them...

Seanssv08

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
That stuff isn't supposed to be applied to the MAF sensor with a rag and the MAF sensor itself isn't really supposed to be touched, you're just supposed to squirt the sensor with it. The solvent in the cleaner eats any oil/residue on it and the spray kinda blows the dirt off.

Typically you can't see them, you need to spray something combustable around the intake areas to see if there is a change idle, but at this stage it sounds like your MAF.
Yeah i never said i wiped the MAF with a rag..i only sprayed the senosr till it looked clean and i let it dry...

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Ah ok...i dont think the obd2 has that reading on it?..is the sensor on the side where the plug connect? How can i check the sensor?
Yes sensors is in the side with actuator.
Download an app like dash command or torque to your phone to get a proper amount of data channels, any TB reading will probably show what’s going on.
You can’t service the sensor bit, unless you’re expert in electronics. AvE on YouTube is an expert did a video and it is just too hard.
Given you’re sure the MAF is cleaned properly I’d go through these steps:
Check MAF connectors and wiring as the error with coolant is just odd. Which brand OTR can you take a pic of the setup? May have MAF bypass and / or IAT relocator or different MAF sensor with custom wiring. ie you plugged back in differently. ECU should have reported something useful but slight chance does have MAFless tune and you plugged in the MAF?
Else with engine running carefully spray a little aerosol solvent briefly in short bursts around joins / gaskets for air leak. Careful, can be dangerous and wear gloves and eye protection.
Then check TB reading using the proper apps.
Then if all good log the MAF frequency and throttle position, check data anomalies else post it up here.

Seanssv08

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
Yes sensors is in the side with actuator.
Download an app like dash command or torque to your phone to get a proper amount of data channels, any TB reading will probably show what’s going on.
You can’t service the sensor bit, unless you’re expert in electronics. AvE on YouTube is an expert did a video and it is just too hard.
Given you’re sure the MAF is cleaned properly I’d go through these steps:
Check MAF connectors and wiring as the error with coolant is just odd. Which brand OTR can you take a pic of the setup? May have MAF bypass and / or IAT relocator or different MAF sensor with custom wiring. ie you plugged back in differently. ECU should have reported something useful but slight chance does have MAFless tune and you plugged in the MAF?
Else with engine running carefully spray a little aerosol solvent briefly in short bursts around joins / gaskets for air leak. Careful, can be dangerous and wear gloves and eye protection.
Then check TB reading using the proper apps.
Then if all good log the MAF frequency and throttle position, check data anomalies else post it up here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180305-184315.png
    Screenshot_20180305-184315.png
    699 KB · Views: 244