Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ssv high idle after MAF/TB clean

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Thanks Skylarking, an interesting video.

Unfortunately my issue remains, my engine idle is hanging up and fluctuating between approximately 1,000rpm and 1,800rpm when I shift into neutral (M6) while coasting down from any speed until I come to a complete stop, then the idle settles back to normal quite quickly (650rpm).

This issue began after I cleaned my K&N filter and wiped out the throttle body with a clean rag and throttle body cleaner.
I have tried the idle relearn procedure several times, and a couple of variations.

Idle car for 3 minutes
Turn off for 1 minute
Idle car for 3 minutes then drive

Idle car for 10 minutes, A/C on
Leave car on, idle car for a further 10 minutes, A/C off
Turn car off for a few minutes then restart and drive.

I have also tried driving above 70km/h with multiple deceleration events, coming to a complete stop and waiting for the idle to settle, waiting 3 minutes before moving off again (both with engine still going and engine off for several minutes then restarting and driving off)

A little stumped right now.

I also checked my injectors (when I did the filter change) for the correct Ohm reading (12.5-12.7).

Possibilities could be
- I have damaged an O ring on an injector when I unplugged them creating an unmetered air leak
- I put too much oil on the filter causing the MAF to read incorrectly (doubtful I think)
- I have damaged the TB blade mechanism or the Air Intake Sensor in the TB

Next step right now
- drop another tune in and see if that makes any difference
- disconnect battery for 30 minutes to see if the PCM forgets the idle setting completely and start the relearn again
- pull out the MAF and intake again to see if there is anything obvious that is out of place.

Happy to take other thoughts if anyone has also experienced this issue.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
check the high idle with a tuner and they will be able to see if idle is high because TB is open more or if it's where it should be but is trying to lower it and it can't, that will tell u if it's an air leak or other issue to look at

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Thanks for the reply 07, I have a FlashscanV2 (just not that knowledgeable with it), so if I log the ETCTP and idle, and see the throttle % remain constant but the idle fluctuate, would this then point to a problem with something other than the TB?

Should the throttle % be between 6%-12% on idle?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u can see all the idle airflow and idle spark corrections have a look at what is doing, idle ECT should be about the 6-12% depending on mods, because it's higher rpm it should be in error correcton especially with spark reduction and the airflow should show what it's expecting idle to be and what it is so u will see the error, usually if u have an airleak ECT will be very low % did u reset the TB trims before the relearn ?

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
No I didn’t reset the TB trims, how do I do that?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
ok yea is best to reset them before the learn so it makes the adjustments quicker, im not sure bout efilive but the hpt has a reset u can apply so u can then do the relearn

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Well I tried another couple of options,
- unplugging TB, turning car on, not starting, plugging back in then starting
- pulling fuse for ECM, turning car on, not starting, waiting a few minutes then reinserting fuse and starting
No joy.

Found a post on EFI LIVE Forum which pointed me to the idle learn reset function in the software while plugged into the car(pass through). This seems to have resolved my issue. Idle is no longer hanging up on coast down. Yay.