Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ssv l76 lifter issue

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wow that seems cheap for a reco engine. It's over $6k for a Buick V6.
I have to wonder if that's everything replaced? When I've looked into it, it's lot more than $6k. Replacing the heads alone is around $2.5k or more. I sussed it out when I thought I had a blown HG. It cost me $450 just to replace a spring and he gave me a discount.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Wow that seems cheap for a reco engine. It's over $6k for a Buick V6.
I have to wonder if that's everything replaced? When I've looked into it, it's lot more than $6k. Replacing the heads alone is around $2.5k or more. I sussed it out when I thought I had a blown HG. It cost me $450 just to replace a spring and he gave me a discount.
Its a basic rebuild. Doesn’t mention anything about lifters or cam. Maybe that’s an oversight as it’d be quite silly to rebuild it and put an old cam and lifters in it. $6k is probably a fair price for an exchange long motor. After all it’s basically bearings, rings, cam, lifters, reco heads and associated gaskets. Probably about $3-4k in parts and a couple of grand profit to put it all together.

“All our engines are bored oversize and come with new pistons, rings gaskets bearings fitted. Cranks are ground and heads are either reconditioned or new. Block and heads Cbn surfaced.

This is a ls3 and does not have AFM! The changeover engine MUST be a ls3 and rebuild-able (eg no holes in block!! Or the core charge will not be refunded)”

YT-OG

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv 2009 6.0litre
Its a basic rebuild. Doesn’t mention anything about lifters or cam. Maybe that’s an oversight as it’d be quite silly to rebuild it and put an old cam and lifters in it. $6k is probably a fair price for an exchange long motor. After all it’s basically bearings, rings, cam, lifters, reco heads and associated gaskets. Probably about $3-4k in parts and a couple of grand profit to put it all together.

“All our engines are bored oversize and come with new pistons, rings gaskets bearings fitted. Cranks are ground and heads are either reconditioned or new. Block and heads Cbn surfaced.

This is a ls3 and does not have AFM! The changeover engine MUST be a ls3 and rebuild-able (eg no holes in block!! Or the core charge will not be refunded)”
Do you no if they take AFM motors

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you no if they take AFM motors
I don’t know. All the listings they have on eBay are for non AFM motors (LS1, LS3 and L98). Maybe contact them and ask if they do them.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So just as a guide, it is going to cost me about $1800, all up to have valve springs replaced and trunnions done. This alone is a days work. Certainly makes those engines seem cheap, considering my heads are not even coming off. The above is me supplying parts. Could add another $500 if the garage supplies everything.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
So just as a guide, it is going to cost me about $1800, all up to have valve springs replaced and trunnions done. This alone is a days work. Certainly makes those engines seem cheap, considering my heads are not even coming off. The above is me supplying parts. Could add another $500 if the garage supplies everything.
Which is an absolute ripoff for labour only. Should be about $800 if it was a days worth of labour at $100 an hour. Like I’ve mentioned elsewhere they don’t need to work so they can charge what they like, not whats fair and reasonable!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Labour is about $900. $120 an hour is the going rate, at most places now. Parts are another $800-$900, more if I have the garage to source parts.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Labour is about $900. $120 an hour is the going rate, at most places now. Parts are another $800-$900, more if I have the garage to source parts.
Ok. The way I read it was $1800 plus $500 for parts. That makes more sense.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No, no if I get the garage to source parts it would be a extra $500, so $2300 because they would use Burson as most places do, who are the biggest rort when buying spares.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Revtune or Revhigh do a cam with LS7 lifters, new springs and pushrods with all labour and a tune for $3300 plus $250 for the afm delete kit. $3550 is a bargain if they're any good. If you need cam bearings done, they pull your L76 and send it to a machine shop for an extra $900. That's gotta be the cheapest I've seen.
Their November special is on their homepage https://www.revhigh.com.au/