Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV - looks gr8...but

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by mossiek, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Wombat

Wombat New Member

Members Ride:
    VX-II Lumina Sedan
    I believe it has been said before, but the thinnest A-pillars of any production sedan in the world were (and possibly still are even today) the good old HQ Holden.
    Yes yes yes...I know the driver and passengers aren't surrounded with air bags, but if they could design something 35 years ago that was still a very strong design, why are they so damn thick now? (I'm not picking on the VE inparticular...most modern cars are like that.)
    Even SAAB have thinner A-pillars, and they are capable of supporting something like three times the vehicles weight on the roof...something to do with a surprisingly large proportion of car accidents in Sweden being people hitting Reindeer (or Moose...Elk? One of them anyway...)and ending up with half a ton of animal landing on the hood and roof...

I guess after a billion bucks on the VE they ran out of development money for thinner pillars...:yeah:

2. CSP

CSP Banned

Members Ride:
    my car
    That's the thing - watching some of the old Holden test crash videos from 30 years ago you will see just how LITTLE roll over protection there was... We have some damn good strength as well as safety features in these modern cars we choose to drive compared with 30 years ago. If you're rather have better visibilty (which is overcome in the VE by simply MOVING YOUR HEAD) then buy a HQ :D Just don''t roll it...

3. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    I LOL'd at this post. I will give credit to the ride of the VE, but i would never take one over a BMW.
    I was lucky enough to drive a 750LI through last week (boss's new toy). If you think any VE can even start to be compared to this....you are delusional lol.

4. CSP

CSP Banned

Members Ride:
    my car
    Haha! As I now laugh at you!!!

Where did I ever compare a VE to a 750LI (which starts at $239,000). If you think I would ever compare a VE to a BMW 750LI, it's not me that's deluisional!!! lol

It was up to me, and if I didn't have to think about cost, then yes I would choose a BMW M5 for sure (7 series is for grandpas). However, as I live in the real world (one where I will never be able to afford $239,000 for a car!) the E-series Holdens are fantastic value for money and I will happily settle for my current VE Calais. Come next financial year though, I think it's time to look at either the GTS or Clubby R8.

5. f1tzy

f1tzy New Member

Members Ride:
    FG XR6T Ute manual
    you are the most defensive person i have ever seen over a car. calm down

6. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    Here ?

You compared them right there, you didn't say which models, but that whole structure of wording says to me that the VE is as good as BMW and Mercedes, you mentioned no model, that's the way i interpreted what you posted..

I agree, for the prices the VE is a great car(apart from them looking a little funny).

Your right the 7 series is for grandpas, but its a bloody wonderful car.

7. CSP

CSP Banned

Members Ride:
    my car
    And that is the bottom line... Everything else I (and you) have said is comparing apples with oranges.

8. f1tzy

f1tzy New Member

Members Ride:
    FG XR6T Ute manual
    if the car is the apple, whats the orange

9. xss001

xss001 New Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS, VE SS
    Have had my VE SS for 1 week. Agree the A pillar takes a little getting used too and overall the visbility is not as good as the VT or VX I had before it. But no major drama and I haven't hit anyone yet.

No problems with the motor or anything else as yet either. The clutch and gear box are certainly different compared to VX SS I had before it but will give it and me some more time.

A mate has a SV6 and said his clutch was a bit of problem for the first few weeks but either he got used to it or it bedded in as it is ok now. He also indicated he had tyre prblems. Back tyres worn out on the outside in 30K. Having had a VX SS Series 1 with major rear camber design problems I won't be happy if I have issues with the back end.

Otherwise all is well and loving it.

Agree you need to forcefull without over doing it early. A second opinion helps particularly if it RACV but that may cost you.

Good luck but keep everyone posted.

10. CSP

CSP Banned

Members Ride:
    my car
    The VE is the Apple... Other makes not in the same category are Oranges.

11. AttaBoy

AttaBoy WTF?!?!

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim V6
    But oranges taste better than apples.:D:D

12. mossiek

mossiek Member

Members Ride:
    VESSV VTSS
    The only problem with calling roadside assistance- is being in country victoria-the RACV around here are the same mechanics from the Holden dealership- gotta suck! Anyway I've decided all the whingin and bitchin is getting me no where- just stressing me right out. Now I'm not going to worry unless something major happens (even though I feel all my hassles have been major for a new car) I've got 2.5 years of new car warranty left. I'm just gonna enjoy my beautiful car like I should and if anything does go majorly wrong they'd wanna look out! Enjoy your VESS- they are beautiful cars!

13. Jaydub

Jaydub New Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6 / Toyota Kluger Grande
    Been keeping an eye on this thread.
    Though it was somewhat hijacked about bmw's and apples and oranges. :whistling

Bummer that you've had a half negative experience with ya new beast.
    Feel for ya mate

All i can say is...that even given your run.
    Coming from a guy thats only owned HQ's and 2nd hand VR's

VE SS's or SSV's... got my vote

14. davey g-force

davey g-force I'm a sceptic...

Members Ride:
    02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
    What's the latest mossiek? How's the car going now?

I'm looking at buying an SSV later this year and I'm interested to know...

15. FPV 4 T

FPV 4 T myspace.com/attakarrak

Members Ride:
    2008 VE HSV Clubsport R8.
    Mate I have some of the same problems with my VE Clubby... here they are:

my glove box don't close properly,
    my little compartment lid under my aircon controls dont open properly,
    there was a dent on my roof wen i picked my car up,
    there was an oil leak coming from my gearbox wen i picked my car up,
    my window washer bottle had a hole in it and leaked all my water out,
    my steering wheel clicks wen i turn right,
    there is a glitch with my LCD screens in my speedo,
    my ESP function has faulted on me,
    my bonnet needs to be aligned,
    my sunroof rubbers are coming off,
    my front grill is not clipped in properly,
    and who ever tinted my windows from factory did not put all the screws back in my front passenger door,
    my passenger aircon vent sometimes rattles,

and this is all i can rememer at the moment... I love my car but this is absolutley ****ed considering i just spent a little over $73,000.00 on my brand new VE Clubsport R8!!!

I was very happy with buying my car but the service department has let me down so much its not funny... they have not been able to rectify my problems so now im writing straight to HSV about my issues... :(

16. adamc11

adamc11 Donating Member

Members Ride:
    2013 VE SS V Z M6
    Join the club mate. My friend has a WL caprice and holden have the ****test service.
    - A window switch cracked (in the corner you don't touch... it started as a hair line crack and got bigger), and they refused to replace it saying it was mis-reated... i said we don't even touch it that part of the switch and there must have been a fault with the manufacture of it... they didn't care, and they said they could send it to holden but it was cost $ to get it looked at (something ridiculous)... I was actually there with my friend (being a women she sorta gets pushed around by the dealers)... and i arked up about the switch, told them it was unacceptable and made a big issue in front of other customers... they then said if you wish come in on wednesday when holden are here and we can ask them if warranty will cover it (obviously that costs me nothing :D)... just goes to prove if you make a big enough fuss they will eventually co-operate...
    - We asked them to fix the hand brake numerous times as it never held properly, and they never did...
    - The drivers door has a rattle and it is quite obvious and they apparently never heard it... same old jargon 'we could not replicate the problem'.

My friend has since taken it to a local mechanic (as it is now out of warranty) who are great i must say... they charged $380 for a service and new rear brake pads and machined discs amongst other things... whereas holden charged about $500 for a standard service and they did **** all!

So all in all I must say holden have terrible customer service, i think it has been said many times on the forums... just be persistent and hassle them until they don't want to know you :thumbsup:

17. CSP

CSP Banned

Members Ride:
    my car
    I know for a FACT that these issues are known and can be fixed under warranty. As for the dent in the roof, why did you drive away knowing it was there. I would've told em to shove it and demanded a NEW car. Wouldn't even accept the same one repaired.

I think most people that have problems and just whinge about it are silly. I have never had an issue with warranty. It's about knowing your rights, knowing how to get them to fix the issues.

18. Wombat

Wombat New Member

Members Ride:
    VX-II Lumina Sedan
    ....all of which only supports my repeated statement that you should never be dazzled by a shiny new-model car and just rush out and buy one immediately to be the "first on the block", but you should always wait for the "Series 2" of any make or model of new car, especially one as completely new and complex as the VE is...

Look at the VX and it's rear wheel camber problems as a prime example...series 1, rear wheels which look like a 40 year old Volkswagen, Series 2, problem solved...

19. davey g-force

davey g-force I'm a sceptic...

Members Ride:
    02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
    Hmmm, all this talk is kinda turning me off an SSV.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my VY SS, I just wanted to upgrade for the sake of having a newer car. I am re-thinking about just keeping the VY.

I'm going to test drive an SSV this weekend. That's whats gonna make or break the deal for me. From previously just sitting in an SSV, I must say I was pretty underwhelmed by the feel and finish of the interior compared to my VY. It'd wanna drive a sh!tload better than the VY for me to now consider buying one.

20. CSP

CSP Banned

Members Ride:
    my car
    Once you drive one, you will want one! I'd put money on it :thumbsup:

Remember ALL cars have problems and on an enthusiast website such as this one, it's going to seem like a lot more have problems than actually do. Thing is, most people who find these sites are looking for answers to do with problems or issues with their cars.

I have had two VEs now. The V6 Calais and the LS2 Clubsport. Both have been AWESOME cars. A couple of minor warranty issues for each, easily and quickly fixed by my dealer...